We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

New York City
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

Do I need to tip the surf instructor and the volcano tour guy?

I know I can if I want to, but is it expected? How much?

Thanks

A

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,433 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

With the exception of waitstaff, tipping is never mandatory or expected with ANYBODY!! If you felt the surf instructor and tour guide did a great job and they were friendly and nice, I would tip them. I would probably give them anywhere from $5-$10. Give them whatever you feel is appropriate. Again, they won't be expecting it so don't worry about that. Even though at the beginning of the tour, some tour guides may "suggest" that if you have a good time, show your apprecation with a little tip.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,602 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Tipping extra is a definite for all waiter and services like cabs unless their service is really sub par. If the individual is actually being paid by a second party such as a large resort maybe slipped them some extra cash. If a private party tour group then all costs should be included. Of course no one is stopping you from slipping them extra if you really liked their service such as I always give my barber a $5 tip :)

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,029 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

eeeekk, i always tip anyone that does a service for me, about 20% and i am in the service (not alot of money) business...it is horrible that we expect a tip, but honestly, we do.

and they say not to tip the owner, salon ect, but i still do. just me

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

People who work(ed) in or are/were associated with the service industry will always tip everybody and tip better than others.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

I always tip tour guides. I usually tip 10% which is generally a $20 bill for my wife and I. If the tour was exceptional I will tip more.

Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

My son and hubby are taking a helicopter tour next month ($400 approx total ) and I assume my husband will tip $20. It will have to suffice.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

in Hawaii I am always amazed at the percentage of tips are refused or how hard I have to insist they take it. This is for tour guides or boat operators etc..

A lot of these guides are just volunteers and just love being out showing the island off. I like to tip them even more for an enjoyable tour or discussion.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,029 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

wow, never heard of anyone declining a tip!!!

California
Level Contributor
93 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

Just about every tour I've been on, I have tipped. There are usually signs in the vehicle of transportation. Very rarely have I had any guides actually speak aloud about the expectations of tips. I have always been given a great deal of gratitude after a tip. I see it as a way to point out that I feel their personality exceeded my expectations. Of course, if you are not happy with the guide, then don't tip.

10. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 15:15