We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what/where is beach that only allows 35 people at one time??

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Topic
what/where is beach that only allows 35 people at one time??

Someone did a recent review and said that although you have to wait your turn to use the beach that it is so gorgeous that it's worth it, but they monitor it because it is so small. any thoughts or am I dreaming that I read this somewhere???

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what/where is beach that only allows 35 people at one time??

aloha Kelf. - all beaches in Hawaii are public lands and access cannot be denied. so I don't think there's a place like this, in Hawaii anyway - at least to my knowledge.

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
355 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what/where is beach that only allows 35 people at one time??

I saw that, too. It was the first reply to a posting "Drive up to Hapuna beach,etc and back from Kona area"

Since all beaches are public, resorts have to have some policy allowing public access.

"The Mauna Kea Beach Resort is on my all time favorite beaches in all of Hawaii. You can ask for a public parking pass at the gate, which you can't miss off the main highway" posted by FlipperGirl.

It's just north of Hapuna Beach, which I prefer as it seems more laid back. I fine the Mauna Kea beach and hotel to be more resort-ish. We are going to the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel in a couple of weeks just for the beach.

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
355 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what/where is beach that only allows 35 people at one time??

... actually not "just for the beach" but that's the reason my wife loves the hotel.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
385 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what/where is beach that only allows 35 people at one time??

Aloha

I think would they were referring to is that the Mauna Kea Resort allows only 30 cars at one time in their lot.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,392 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what/where is beach that only allows 35 people at one time??

The West Hawaii resorts are required to provide access to the beachfront for the public; but it is not unfettered access.

The Mauna Kea Beach Resort is a gated community, and the level of public beach access required was quantified via the count of parking stalls made available. It was approved in the 60s, so the County and Public demands were not coordinated or percieved to be so great. I haven't parked there in a maybe a decade, but they made maybe 15 stalls available for parking for the public beach access.

Even if you cannot get a parking space within the gated area, you can walk to Kaunaoa Beach from either the south along the shoreline or down through the resort (they have to let you walk through).

Mauna Lani was 15 years later, people were more attuned, and a larger parking lot was required, maybe 30+ stalls or so, with a dedicated path for the public. Similar requirements were made at Waikoloa. But at both of these there is no guard gate, so no real restriction to access, and you can find parking at the hotels or elsewhere in the resort and hoof it down to the beach.

The new ultra-exclusive resorts, specifically Hualalai, are/will be gated and so have controls and limits on parking for beach access.

At Hualalai, the beach ain't nothing to write home about; but, when they get Kukio developed next door that will be fantastic, no matter how they restrict access.

Kukio Beach is one of the most amazing shoreline landforms in the state, visited by few. And, even though it will be owned by the ultra-rich, it will be nice to have some access to the incredible beachfront. It used to be if you didn't know somebody at Huehue Ranch you would never get the chance to visit there.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what/where is beach that only allows 35 people at one time??

Bottom line.......there are none... nO SUCH BEACH EXISTS.

We have no private or exclusive beaches... you need to come and share as in the spirit of our aLOHA......

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what/where is beach that only allows 35 people at one time??

so it's not the beach, it's the parking that is at a premium, that makes sense now. thanks guys!!