We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canoe surfing

bedford
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Canoe surfing

I was looking for a canoe surfing (the outrigger canoes where you can go out for an hour and canoe and ride the surf in )...I see them on Oahu, but not on all the other islands.

i just came across a few on the BI ...but would also liek to know if there are some on other islands.

Just curious if anyone has used a company and are the waves good on the BI. I have an email into Kona Boys as they have something called Wa'a canoe rides, but not sure if it is "riding the waves" or a tour..

Or if anyone knows of any on the BI..I would love to do this for an hour or so.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,792 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canoe surfing

Interesting question ... hope someone has the answer.

I just wanted to remark that Oahu is very different in that you can get quite a ways out without being in deep ocean, whereas the Big Island shelf is not that wide.

Canoe paddlers practice a lot at A-bay, but it is reef-protected and doesn't really have surf. Hilo Bay is very big with paddlers, but on calm days they are simply paddling or paddle-boarding. On days where is some surf, people are on boards. Which is to say that I haven't seen people canoe-surfing there.

Where did you find this activity (I mean, where on the Big Island is it done)?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canoe surfing

Well, I've never heard it called canoe surfing!! That's a new one on me!! I've gone out with the outrigger canoes in Waikiki and yes, when surf is up you can ride them in to the beach. One time they let me stand up while ridding a wave, that's probably the closest I'll ever come to surfing. There are a couple of canoe clubs in south Maui that will take you out for a nominal donation. As far as canoe surfing........................only coming back to shore if there is surf!!

bedford
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canoe surfing

msfuzz...that is funny...I was going to say I want to do this in case my surf lessons in Maui..don't go so well!!

hawaiiactivities.com/us/…

Also I first noticed on Kona boys website...

they go out Kamakahonu Bay.

I just talked to Kona Boys trying to find out if there is waves....and I know no one knows for sure..but thre must be better times for some then others etc.

4. Re: Canoe surfing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 21:17