We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special occassion dinner/honeymoon

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
924 reviews
Save Topic
Special occassion dinner/honeymoon

We are going to Hawaii for our honeymoon in September. He propsed to me in Hawaii at the gardens in Hilo. We were looking at either the Surf, Sand, and Stars dinner, the Kahua Ranch cookout or either the luau at Hilton Waikoloa or Mauna Kea. Please advise what you think. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea
251 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Evening at Kahua Ranch
Evening at Kahua Ranch
322 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special occassion dinner/honeymoon

Where are you staying and how long do you have on the Big Island?

Mentioned in this post
GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
730 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Special occassion dinner/honeymoon

My wife and I had a wonderful meal at Manta at Mauna Kea.

Mentioned in this post
Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea
251 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Manta Restaurant
Manta Restaurant
311 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Nazareth...
Level Contributor
350 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Special occassion dinner/honeymoon

Surf Sand and Stars is a great , but not really romantic with the buffet and everyone up and down all the time.

We loved it.. food was awesome and the view was stellar.

My husband LOVED the lobster tail!

My favorite "romantic" meal was beachside at Canoe House at the Mauna Lani. Wonderful service, wonderful meal, wonderful view.

I also enjoyed Browns however 1 of the 2 times I was there the Orchid had a huge conference going on on the other side of the pool area and the music was so LOUD that we were really annoyed... we couldn't talk over it and it totally drowned out the sounds of the musician at Browns.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special occassion dinner/honeymoon

In February, DH and I stayed at the Kilauea Lodge and enjoyed several breakfasts and one fantastic dinner there. Here is what I wrote about that romantic dinner:

DH and I have had our reservations for months at the Kilauea Lodge restaurant, thanks to TT who highly recommended it. It did not disappoint, is an under statement! Fantastic ambiance, service, and food...what more could you ask for. We both had the fresh ahi, but with two different preparations, a piccata and a mango/ginger glaze. Delicious! Each was $36 and included fresh bread, salad,wild rice pilaf, and steamed veggies. LOVE this restaurant!

We decided against dessert and I'm glad we did. We would have missed quite a show at the crater had we given in to that temptation. The crater put on quite a show after dark, so be sure and go to the Jagger at night if it is still allowed.

Mentioned in this post
Kilauea Lodge
Kilauea Lodge
1,107 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kilauea Lodge & Restaurant
Kilauea Lodge...
1,308 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Special occassion dinner/honeymoon

I would echo spree's comments about the surf, sand and stars dinner. Good but not necessarily romantic. As far as the Mauna Kea's luau, I was there this summer and we would not go back. The food was mediocre and the show was only okay. We also went to the Canoehouse (which we usually love) and it was not as good as Browns Beach House (at least this summer). Our favorite was the Beach Tree Grill at the 4 Seasons. I like Pahuia also but really don't like the food and price as much as the Beach Tree. So, my vote would be the Beach Tree and only you can say whether you would want to eat there during the surf, sand and stars dinner or on another night, but we liked it so much and it's views that we went back 3 times.

Mentioned in this post
Brown's Beach House
Brown's Beach House
985 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
CanoeHouse
CanoeHouse
890 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Beach Tree Bar and Lounge
Beach Tree Bar and Lounge
443 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Special occassion dinner/honeymoon

If you are planning on time in Volcano def. look at 2 nights lodging at Kilauea Lodge and 1 special dinner there for sure. When over Waikoloa area then maybe Cafe Pesto for dinner at Kawaihae Harbor then if you are into dancing and live music and a night cap/dessert then maybe check the nearby Blue Dragon Of course a gourmet picnic basket one night at Hapuna Beach or Wailea Bay to watch the sun go down and the stars come out.

Mentioned in this post
Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area
Hapuna Beach State...
2,043 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kilauea Lodge & Restaurant
Kilauea Lodge...
1,308 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kawaihae
Kawaihae
Island of Hawaii, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
WNY
Level Contributor
146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Special occassion dinner/honeymoon

Brown's Beach House at the Fairmont Orchid - fabulous. Or Canoe House at Mauni Lani [haven't eaten there but know people who did and loved it]. Both are right on the water.

Mentioned in this post
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
4,445 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Brown's Beach House
Brown's Beach House
985 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
924 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Special occassion dinner/honeymoon

Thank you so much for all your replies. I appreciate your suggestions. I will look over the choices you gave me and make a decision.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
924 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Special occassion dinner/honeymoon

We are staying at the Hilton Waikoloa.

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Oklahoma City...