We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquakes

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,780 posts
Save Topic
Earthquakes

Biggest was 4.5

…yahoo.com/series-earthquakes-strike-big-isl…

Didn't feel them here in central Minnesota!

California
Level Contributor
842 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earthquakes

Driving around Hilo today, but didn't feel anything.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,780 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Earthquakes

staradvertiser.com/news/…132207593.html

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,812 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Earthquakes

Lots of info:

http://tux.wr.usgs.gov/

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Earthquakes

Sharp jolt on Hamakua on the first and largest.

You don't feel quakes like that if you're in the car. I know that from experience. The motion of the car and maybe the stabilizers will mask even a good sized shake.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,596 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Earthquakes

Aloha,

Looks like a lucky day for us all.

Mahalo Dusty for the info

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,735 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Earthquakes

Just wondering what is the line between 'nevermind' and 'oh-oh'? We felt a 3.2 once while staying Keauhou.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,812 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Earthquakes

Sue - you'll know an oh-oh when you feel and hear it.........generally around a 5, but there's lots varying factors - depth, soil composition. I've lived in SoCal nearly all my life and have experienced some whoppers, the first in 1971. About a year ago we had a very shallow quake of around 3.5, but it was practically under our house - it sounded like an explosion in the middle of night - even set off car alarms, but no shaking.

3Chihuahuas

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Earthquakes

Aloha,

Sue, it's greatly related to the location of the quake and the depth. A 3.2 only a few miles underground and close to you is totally different than a 3.2 many miles underground (or underwater) and out in the middle of nowhere!

I've had some good shaking from quakes that were only in the high 2's........just due to these factors---and felt almost nothing from larger ones. There's no way to 'brightline' a quake.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,735 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Earthquakes

Thanks, Little Puppies and Big Dog! LOL

The 3.2 originated on Big Island, so I guess 'right under us'. My first thought was that a gas water heater had exploded -- but the heater in the house we were renting was electric. There was a bang and small items in the house 'jumped'. The bridge players next door didn't miss a bid.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Earthquakes

Hi Dusty, don't rule out a quake in Minn. (Never say Never.) About a couple of months ago there was an earthquake which I believe was near Washington, D.C. and it was felt for many, many miles. Heard reports of someone in Mich claiming to have felt it.

Have you seen any Palm Trees yet?