We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kailua-Kona

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
550 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Kailua-Kona

anybody have anything good to say about the kaiua-kona area or will i regret leaving -40 weather in good old saskatchewan

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,796 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kailua-Kona

Aloha,

Well, from a neighbor island resident.......Hulihee Palace, Kona Inn, wandering Ali'i Drive and watching the people and the ocean both are all fun!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kailua-Kona

Nothing like Hawaii to cure that -40 problem - I really can relate. Just warmed up to -10 here. We really enjoyed our time in Kona, and Hilo too - well, we just really loved the Big Island. Book for as long as you can - LOTS to explore on this island. :)

Canby, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kailua-Kona

My wife and I have stayed in Kailu-Kona twice for a total of 12 days. We really like it. Location is good if you are staying in a hotel-we were in the Royal Kona. Lots of places to eat, look over the bay, see some incredible sunsets. Yes it is touristy, but we have managed to get all over the BI, with most time spent on the West side.

Next trip, with a larger family group we will probably rent a house or stay at one of the resorts, but still plan to start the trip out with a few nights in Kailua Kona.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kailua-Kona

Love Kailua- Kona! We're going back in Feb. It just keeps pulling us back!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kailua-Kona

We love Kailua-Kona. It is touristy but it is central and quite inexpensive compared to the resort areas. Just returned from our second trip there yesterday morning and am already figuring out how soon we can go back. If you are in town on a Sunday when there is the Kokua Kailua Village Stroll going on. They close Ali'i Drive to cars, there are booths with crafts, food, etc. and musicians, etc. There seemed to be a mix of locals and tourists around - a good time. historickailuavillage.com/celebrations/kokua…

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
550 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kailua-Kona

thanks guys,we are going to be spending 10 days at the kona reef in feb. and we were looking for a bit of positive re-enforcement after reading a few negative comments on the area..the negative ones are always the ones that stick in your mind of course. we dont mind touristy , we are tourists :):) a decent meal out and a tasty beverage after a long day of tourisiting? is what we are looking for... mahalo [hope i got that right]

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kailua-Kona

We spent 5 days in Hilo and 7 in Kona and really like how walkable Kona was - lots to choose from, but not nearly as crowded or as touristy as either Oahu or Maui. And you got that mahalo right! :)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,911 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kailua-Kona

As long as you have your expectations in order, you should be fine. It's kind of a run down little town which is overrun when the cruise ships are in town, no beaches to speak of, lousy food and shopping, and mediocre hotels. Right now the vog is terrible and makes the place kind of depressing.

On the positive side, it's on the ocean, the waters are usually calm and warm and make for good swimming and snorkeling, and there are lots of budget accommodations. I personally would not choose it as a base, but it's almost certainly better than -40 in Saskatchewan!

California
Level Contributor
892 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kailua-Kona

I like Kailua-Kona also. Of course, it isn't an elegant location like Palm Beach, but it's a good destination for us tourists who can't afford the expensive resorts on the Kohala Coast. We've stayed at various oceanfront units at Kona Reef and have been perfectly happy there. It's an easy walk to dinner on the south end of the town. In October we enjoyed pupus and cocktails at Don the Beachcombers, dinner at Huggo's on the Rocks, and two dinners at Tai Rin (very good and fresh) without breaking the bank. To say the restaurants in Kailua-Kona serve lousy food is doing a disservice to many of the smaller eateries that put out good and inexpensive food. I hope you have a great visit, saskguy.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,911 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kailua-Kona

Well, it's all subjective I suppose, but I've been eating in Kailua Kona for about 15 years, and I think in general it's pretty lousy, including the three restaurants you mention, which are just tourist traps, IMO, that don't use fresh, local ingredients, and turn out a mediocre product. There are exceptions, including the very good Annie's up mauka, which has been a big bright spot on the local casual dining scene, but sadly that's more the exception than the rule.