I am staying at Hilton Waikoloa for 9 days and would REALLY appreciate some advice/comments on the activities I have planned or are considering:
1) We have planned a day trip to Volcano national park. Should I drive through Hilo or Kona? We want to view some falls in Hilo so thought it might be better to do that in morning? What is the best hike to do (nothing too challenging or too long - we have kids in our group)? Is it worth my while to drive down Chain of Craters road and hike out to see lava during day? Any other "must do's" while in that part of the island?
2) Which beach is best for boogie boarding/surfing. I have never tried it but want to - so will need lessons/rental.
3) Can anyone recommend a dinner/sunset cruise?
4) Where are some good family (read: moderately priced) restaurants around waikoloa? We are looking for "pub style" food.
5) This might seem like a really ignorant question but what are the laws about drinking in public. If we take a 6-pack to a beach will this be an issue? Also anyone know if the Hilton frowns on having your own alcohol on site?
6) Rainbow or Akaka Falls - or both?
7) Best place to get Hawaiian Attire near Waikoloa?
We have also booked a sea quest rafting adventure and lu'au with King K hotel - I have heard good and bad on both but I think we will stick with our choices unless someone has a very strong reason not to.
This forum is great - Thanks to Hawaii Dan and the other local experts for their time to help others enjoy the beauty that is the BI.