We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week big island

San Diego
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
1 week big island

I am travelling to the Big Island with three other members of my family (all adults). We are interested in hiking, snorkelling, and spending some time at the beach. We are flying into Hilo and will be renting a car. Where should we stay on the island? Are there any hotels that are around $100-$150/night?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week big island

Just one full week? The best snorkeling is on the Kona side of the island, and some of the best hiking I did was at Volcano National Park. Do you have your flights booked? Because it would save you time if you flew into one airport and out the other. Which is more important - the hiking or the snorkeling? I think with just one week, I would spend 2-3 days at VNp and then the rest on the other side of the island, snorkeling. :)

Canada
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week big island

You don't mention what time of year you are visiting?

Best weather and beaches are located on the West side of the Island in South Kohala....opposite of Hilo.Flying into KOA.

Are you looking for a condo type accommodation with kitchen...or one or 2 Hotel rooms?

Is this 1 week trip to the Big Island the whole Hawaii encounter...or is there another Island part of the itinerary?

The budget you quote might fare a bit better on the East side ( $100/night for 4 adults)... Is that including taxes/fees? (13.42%)Accommodations on the warm, sunny West coast tend to come in a fair bit higher...although there is some leeway depending on location and amenities.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
874 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week big island

We just got back from a 7 night stay on the Big Island- and that was plenty of time to see what we wanted to see.

Two nights in Volcano was exactly right- more than that and we would have had to grow gills. Five nights in Keauhou gave us sun and warmth and a good homebase from which to explore the western half of the island.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,403 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week big island

When are you coming? Are you flying into Hilo from another island? Do you intend to fly out of Kona? As pointed out, beaches and snorkelling are fairly exclusive to the west side. Your budget is pretty low for the west side, depending on time of year. More info needed to advise.

Sydney
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week big island

HI-we did 3-nights in Hilo which was plenty, it rains++ and lots of mosquitoes. All the hotel/resort reviews were very average so we stayed in a B&B, check out the Island Goode's. It was lovely, not too pricey either. We then drove around to Kona, stayed 4-nights in Mauna Loa Village, which was great- very spacious and clean. It was on the Big Island that we swam with sea turtles, Spent a day driving to the volcano, only regret was that I wish we'd stayed there and had more time to look around a bit more. Good luck!

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week big island

I suggest a few nights at Volcano Village and the rest of your time on the West side of the island. Your budget may be low for some of the best accomodatikns, but you will be able to find some places that will work fine.

Look at B&Bs in Hilo and Volcano Village first. Then even the hotels in Hilo. On the West side you may want to increase your budget, but research will tell you for sure if anything meets your needs.

Good luck with your planning!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week big island

If you land in HIlo then maybe 3 nights to see everything on that side w/ short day trips west to Volcano or as far north as Waipio Valley overlook. Look at places like Dolphin Bay Hotel for budget lodging in HIlo or maybe My Island B&B in Volcano.

Best hiking will be Volcano National Park. Plan on doing the Kilauea Iki hike loop trail for moderate difficulty or 1st mile of Mana Ulu trail for lighter hike.

If you want quality beach time the rest of the week stay at Waikoloa area w/ quick access to best beaches like Hapuna Beach or Waialea Bay (good for a snorkeling warm up). From there you can do easy day trips as far north as Hawi & Pololu Valley Overlook and as far east as Honokaa town and Waipio Valley Overlook and as far south as Captain Cook sites.

If on a tight budget look at places like Kamuella Inn or Kohala Village Inn under $100 per night or shop for condos in the Waikoloa area and bag the sea view and pool need to get your cost down.

Extending your stay to 10 nights total will allow for more beach time and flexibility to the whole island. In that case maybe a couple of nights in Captain Cook to do Two Step snorkeling and Place of Refuge. Manago Hotel 3rd floor balcony rooms are well with in your budget.

8. Re: 1 week big island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2013, 10:20