We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best vacation month and activities in Maui and Kawaii

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best vacation month and activities in Maui and Kawaii

Two active Cape Cod seniors who travel the world to learn cultures, appreciate nature, and experience adventure will travel to Hawaii this year. Will Maui and Kauai for two weeks total satisfy our reasons to travel? What months? Tell us your experiences at Marriott's timeshares on these islands? What is the safest and most reasonably priced transportation between islands? Your experiences with car rentals? Public transportation? Not-to-be-missed highlights?

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,775 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best vacation month and activities in Maui and Kawaii

Public transportation on either island is limited. The only way to get between Kauai and Maui is by flying. I like spring best in Hawaii, May being my favorite month. www.discounthawaiicarrental.com will give good results. Have a look at the Kauai and Maui forums, check out the menu's on the left and right hand side of the page. Right now you are on the Island of Hawaii forum (Big Island).

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
LA
Level Contributor
10,988 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best vacation month and activities in Maui and Kawaii

I'd do The Big Island of Hawaii and either Maui or Kauai.

There is much more history and culture apparent on Hawaii- Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park, petroglyphs, heiaus, Place of Refuge. Plus the Merrie Monarch Festival of Hula is in Hilo.

You need to fly between islands.

If you are really into history, you should actually visit Oahu. That;s where all the great museums are.

Mentioned in this post
Big Island Grill
Big Island Grill
1,259 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best vacation month and activities in Maui and Kawaii

Kauai and the Big Island is my recommendation. October is my favorite month. Weather is perfect, less crowds and less expensive in general. I don't know how many flights there are direct from Lihue to Kona, but it's probably a 45-60 minute flight. Get a car on each island. Kauai is the garden of eden and the Big Island has everything but is the most Hawaiian of the major islands. Never used the Marriots, but the one in Poipu, Kauai is gorgeous.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,087 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best vacation month and activities in Maui and Kawaii

Most first-timers stay on Oahu + Kauai (best in summer months) or Maui (IMO best in winter because it is whale season).

Big Island is really BIG, and you have to drive *around* the mountains in the center. It's a 'two stay' island -- Kohala area and Hilo area for the volcano. This is the only island on which we reserve a mid-size or larger car because you drive farther and faster. It is probably my favorite island, but needs more time. You might like five nights Oahu and the rest on Big Island.

Try to fly nonstop to HNL and back on widebody aircraft. A good bet would be Hawaiian Airlines from JFK. you could also book your interisland flights with them -- no problems if there should be a schedule change. You may want to fly into Kona and out of Hilo.

You need a rental car everywhere in Hawaii outside of Honolulu.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,150 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Southern California
Level Contributor
14,590 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best vacation month and activities in Maui and Kawaii

I own at the Kauai Marriott Beach Club in Lihue and have toured the one in Poipu, both are lovely, the one in Lihue is half hotel and half timesharee whereas the one in Poipu is almost totally timeshares and has more limited services (also most are two bedroom units). The one in Lihue has a lovely huge pool with 5 jacuzzis with waterfalls and good restaurants onsite (be sure to eat at Duke's) and quite a few others within easy walking distance. I like the grassy lawn area between the pool and the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Kaua'i Marriott Resort
2,925 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,020 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best vacation month and activities in Maui and Kawaii

Gee . . . any way you can stay longer? :)

I think for less crowds/lower costs I would either come in May or in the Fall after school is in session, but before Christmas.

I would say you would have to visit Oahu - Pearl Harbor, the Palace, the museums and even the PCC . . . if you want history, you would need to go there. I also like the ancient things on the Big Island - it is amazing as well. For natural beauty, Kauai would be my first choice and then the Big Island, as it is so diverse, but it does take awhile to see it all. Not sure if that helps at all. www.gohawaii.com. Good luck! :)

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Best vacation month and activities in Maui and Kawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2013, 10:36