We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 month car rental options? >1k per month

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
3 month car rental options? >1k per month

I've been looking over the internet to find a more cost effective option for a car while I spend March through May on the Big Island. So far Enterprise has given me the lowest price $699 month + enough fees to bring it up to $2900 total.

I have asked aloharents for a quote but I just wanted to ask those more familiar with this issue if there was something better that I'm just not finding.

Thanks!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,159 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 month car rental options? >1k per month

Pay little attention to rental fees. The real deal is the bottom line, with taxes!

We are paying National almost $30/day all in for two months on Maui in high season (now). Seems you should get a better rate at least for the May portion.

(Do I see a WESTIE in your post? We've owned four -- one at a time.)

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 month car rental options? >1k per month

Try http://bigislandrentacar.com if you are OK with older cars. They specialize in long-term rentals.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 month car rental options? >1k per month

That's a yorkie in my pic, I've had Buffy since 2003, hoping she gets to see Hawaii one day. I planned the trip March to May since I would be hitting the BI during the spring, between summer vacation and snow birds. I was hoping to find something better than roughly 1 grand per month.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 month car rental options? >1k per month

I don't mind older cars if they run well. Have you had a good experience with them? I've seen some forum users post bad experiences with them.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 month car rental options? >1k per month

Beggars can't be choosers, your price range is unrealistic for anything else. Your other option would be to buy a used car for a few grand and sell it when you leave.

Edited: 20 January 2012, 02:02
Canada
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 month car rental options? >1k per month

I suspect what may be driving the rate up is the " March" portion of your stay. It is very much considered prime time on the Big Island..the whales are in attendance and many snowbirds as well...even into April (depending where they are from)

The rate you quote does not sound half bad... What type of vehicle? It is the taxes and fees that get you. We usually stay 3 weeks at a time..but have stayed for a 4week period and paid $1K. (All in.. Full size SUV)

It is what it is......

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 month car rental options? >1k per month

I think the prices mentioned here are fantastic for that amount of time. I have paid recently over $1,000 for a large SUV for only a week.

The suggestion of buying a used car, mentioned above, is a good one IMO. I have done this before and ended up money ahead.

Good hunting!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 month car rental options? >1k per month

Look at Hotwire prepay. My Sep. 2011 rental was just $440 for 3 weeks (including tax). Get rid of the expensive insurance fees by talking to your personal car insurance agent first. My "non owned" rental coverage for 6 months is just $30 bucks w/ STate Farm (extends rental time limit, covers loss of use, collision, but not deductible). The Enterprise quote is not that bad if you can get all of those stupid add on fees eliminated.

Edited: 20 January 2012, 18:15
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 month car rental options? >1k per month

I haven't tried this in HI, but often times off airport rentals are considerably cheaper due to lower tax rates. Sometimes I'll rent an expensive car for 1 day from airport and then exchange it for a lower $$ one at an in-town rental company. I only do this if the cost difference outweighs the hassle factor.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 month car rental options? >1k per month

Your idea is good SSD, but it won't work on the Big Island. All rent-a-car companies are at the airport (though Enterprise has an in-town location too) and the rent-a-car desks at the few hotels will charge you an arm and a leg here.