We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jeep rental

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Jeep rental

Aloha all,

I've planned a trip from 21MAR-6APR in Hawaii, first timer! I'm on the Big Island from 28MAR-4APR and have booked B&Bs on both the Kona side in captain cook and the Hilo side. I'm looking for a place to rent a Jeep from but am wondering if it is best to just book at the air port or take a taxi to a rental place? I'll be flying into Kona and out of Hilo.

Mahalo,

Cameron

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,910 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jeep rental

You don't want to leave a car rental until the day you arrive, especially during that busy period. And a taxi from the airport will be very expensive.

There's no reason to rent a Jeep on the Big Island. The rental car companies won't let you take it on any unpaved road anyway, plus there's no need for one here, everything to see can be accomplished with a 2wd. Where were you thinking you'd need a Jeep?

Edited: 21 January 2012, 19:12
LA
Level Contributor
10,107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Jeep rental

You don't need a Jeep or other 4X4

Edited: 21 January 2012, 19:20
Canada
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jeep rental

If I understand your question correctly??.... You are asking if it is better to pick-up (rent) at the Airport or "offsite"?

In the case of the Big Island....an airport pick-up is the way to go. There are not any inexpensive off site locations where you avoid the airport concession fees.(Recent changes with fee assignments)

The South Kohala Resorts have some Car rental desks for car pick-up, however not at discount rates, limited car choice and NOWHERE near Capt Cook.

Alamo Costco discounting doesn't charge a one way drop fee.

I didn't understand you to say that you were going to leave the car details until arrival day..however.....you may be surprised at the rates only this far out...

Make a non pre-pay reservation ASAP and then check back to see if you can happen upon any price drops.

A Jeep is pricey for the uncomfortable, vulnerable , unnecessary vehicle that it is.

Edited: 21 January 2012, 21:24
Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jeep rental

What Shea said!

Also want to add that last year we went to the BI and when we arrived they had nothing left in the lot but a couple of Jeeps so they gave us a free upgrade. Since we had our son with us he thought it would be cool. We took it back after 2 days. It was a two door and him getting in and out was a major pain. Gas mileage sucked, the ride was well, a 4 wheel drive, built for off road not on. Don't get me wrong 4 wheel drives are great and a lot of fun but they are not for cruising around on the pavement.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jeep rental

here are a couple of sites that will help you book a car - they are booking agengies who should find you a good deal.

http://hawaiicarrental.com/

http://discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Doha, Qatar
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Jeep rental

Wanted the drop top feel but a rugged utility as well. Yes, the question was if I should rent at the airport or at a near-by rental company as most of the time airport rentals are higher. From what you have said, Alamo is the place to rent from since I will be arriving in KOA and dropping in ITO

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jeep rental

I just received an email from Dollar for a promo for SUV's. Check them out.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jeep rental

Brittnay C...Are you the OP (as well)?.....

The recommendation is to rent from the Airport at KOA from whichever agency offers the best pricing for the vehicle of your choice. The prices will vary greatly depending on dozens of variables,.....discount codes etc. The comment about Alamo was to say they didn't charge a one-way drop fee(KOA-ITO) if using the Costco discount.....others may or may not. Be sure to check your final quote to see if it has been added. Sometimes it can be an additional $50-75.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jeep rental

just out of curiosity, why do you want to rent a jeep?

if you plan to just stick to the pavement, then i agree with some of the other posters by shying away from it... but if you want to do some real exploring, on your own, then this is where we diverge.......get the 4X4.

Honokaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jeep rental

I'm curious why there is so much Jeep hate?