We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Kea road Closure

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Mauna Kea road Closure

Due to our current storm , The Mauna Kea Road was closed again today and they said it will remain closed for 3 to 4 days as last night over a foot of new snow fell....and will continue foor several days.

temp at the top yesterday was 29F... today it is the same.

Visability is down to 50 to 100 feet in snow fluries.....I was in this yesterday when ice closed the mountain roads..... cant plow for ice... It took 4 hours one way to drive from Kona. and was storming all the way to sea level.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauna Kea road Closure

Not meaning to make light of this situation, but it sounds like Michigan!

I am keeping my fingers crossed for better weather, for you and me. We are going to be on the Big Island in April.

Tulsa
Level Contributor
189 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauna Kea road Closure

What's the latest it's ever snowed on Mauna Kea? Snow is the last thing I think about when I think about Hawaii!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauna Kea road Closure

The last it ever snowed on Mauna Kea?! Two weeks ago. Maybe even last week. It gets snow frequently during the winter time. It's an amazing sight to see both Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa covered with snow but the visibility is seldom good enough to see this phenomen.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
387 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauna Kea road Closure

I think the question was what is the 'latest' it snows, how far into spring/summer.

We have been to the BI several times including this year, but 2005 was the only time we were blessed with some real good visibility. It was almost a "what the heck is that?" after looking up and seeing the snowcaps.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mauna Kea road Closure

Snowcaps?! What snowcaps? For years I thought those were cotton fields! :)