We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 7 days Kailua Kona 4 days Hilo side

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 7 days Kailua Kona 4 days Hilo side

Manday was a busy travel day so you all know how that is. We got in at 4PM got our rental car then drove around trying to find Suncrest to get our key for our Casa de Emdeko condo 315 key.. I've already done a review of the condo if you want to check it out. We liked our condo in spite of some negative comments I've read. We like the Kailua area and weren't plagued with vog while we were there. I was pleasantly surprised at how good our condo looked. We quickly unpacked then headed to KTA down at Keauhou shopping center to grab some groceries. Picked up a cooked chicken and salad for dinner.

Tuesday Drove to Kahaluu beach to check out the snorkel and talk with the lifeguard. Got some shave ice while there. Stopped at Da Poke Shack. I got the Hawaiian Poke which he recommended to me and it was horrible had to throw it away. Went down to the cabana at our condo and grilled our fish for dinner. DH had sward fish I had mahi mahi. Loved the cabana area nice visit with other guest and we could see the whales from our condo and cabana area. A big plus...

I'll do more of our trip report little by little. As you know when you get home you have lots of catching up to do. All in all I had a wonderful time but need to stay at least 3 weeks next time, if I'm so lucky to go again:<) We didn't eat out at all except Lulu's for breakfast. We fixed all of our meals at our condo. We ate like kings and queens.. We didn't go on a whale tour because we could see them from our condo quite nicely and with binoculars even better. More later feel free to ask questions.

Covina, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 7 days Kailua Kona 4 days Hilo side

Great can't wait to read more, will be there soon. We plan on eating in most fo the time too would love to hear where you food shopped! That's funny about poke...everyone raves about it but I guess you have to like raw sushi to enjoy that.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 7 days Kailua Kona 4 days Hilo side

Well the poke he recommended was called the Hawaiian type. I like sushi and I think if I had gotten a different kind I would have liked it. The one with the seaweed looked good but I wanted together the one he reccomended. Should have followed my nose:-) it even looked funny.

morganville NJ
Level Contributor
5 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report 7 days Kailua Kona 4 days Hilo side

if not already put in a review of Poke Shack here because it keeps coming up as the top in town but the natives say not that fantastic.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report 7 days Kailua Kona 4 days Hilo side

I did post a review of Da Poke Shack as well as Lulu's, and Casa de Emdeko so you can all check them out. Back to my trip report

Wed 2/1 We decided to drive north and take a look at the Kohola area. We ate breakfast at Lulu's our only meal out. The drive was great but desolate Went to Waikoloa village and took a look at the King and Queen shops. Too rich for our blood. All the resort areal looked too rich for us also. most of the buildings were so far from the ocean you wouldn't get a ocean view unless you paid big bucks. They also seemed very far from shops and restaurants. On our way back to Kailua we stopped at Costco to get some groceries. Outdoor market for fresh produce. Went to Jack's dive shop to rent my snorkel gear. I needed prescription mask so didn't want to use the ones in my condo. Had another great time down at the cabana visiting with other guest sipping wine and grilling our lamb chops for dinner.

Thursday, first day of snorkeling. DH and I are early risers so cooked our breakfast and was at Kahaluu by 830AM. The lifeguards were not on duty until 930 so we just enjoyed the beach sitting there. needed to rest after my breakfast anyhow. I was amazed at all the fish I saw and quite pleased. I only stayed out for about a half hour that first day. DH and I sat around while I dried off munching on chips and people watching.. We relaxed the rest of the day then headed down to the cabana to grill our tuna steaks for dinner. What a great time we are having. So far we have saved lots of $$$$ by not having to go on a whale tour or snorkel tour. I was quite satisfied with the snorkel off Kahaluu beach and to see the whales right from our condo was wonderful. Well guys I'll post more later need to get busy... Do feel free to ask questions.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report 7 days Kailua Kona 4 days Hilo side

Enjoying your report. Thanks for the detail.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report 7 days Kailua Kona 4 days Hilo side

Friday Feb 3rd This was a busy day for us. Went out to my lanai for coffee and I saw this boat out from our condo. Wondering what they were doing so I got my binoculars. What I saw disturbed me. All these people got out of their boat and then I saw the dolphins. this was a swim with the dolphin tour:<(

Anyhow we got up early and had breakfast then headed down to Kahaluu. This was the best day for me. I stayed out a lot longer and ventured out a little further. I even forgot my noodle and did just fine. The fish were spectacular. I saw many different kinds of fish. Some of the fish were quite large. the coral was good too. After a bit of lounging at the beach DH and I headed home for me to shower so we could go to Pu'uhonua o Honaunau. What a great place this is with all the Hawaiian history. We saw a lot of turtles while there. You can see the yellow tangs from shore.Went to Keauhou on the way back to condo to get some groceries. DH went to the book store to ask about any ethnic live music. We how lucky can we get. Right there at the shopping center they have a stage. and at 6 that evening was going to be a hula show and some falsetto singing with ethnic singing. We brought our chairs just in case the chairs were full and boy were we glad we did. It was a great show and we bought their DVD After the show we went home and I fixed pulled pork I bought at costco and cabbage. I didn't use all the pork its a lot but will use the rest later. Very good day and another check on the things we wanted to do. See traditional hawaiian music. So far all of our wishes were free... More later

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report 7 days Kailua Kona 4 days Hilo side

Ok lets finish up the Kona side.

Saturday, same routine breakfast and snorkel at Kahaluu beach. After lounging on the beach and drying off a little we went back to the dive shop to return my snorkel gear. I rented it for 3 days. Water was a little rough that day so I didn't stay out very long. I was told that at low tide its rougher. High tide wasn't until 2 that day.

DH and I went to town to shop for a Uke for him. Found him one a music shop by the King Kam hotel. He even re-strung it for him to left hand. I saw this quilt shop in the same shopping area to browse.

I saw this Henna tattoo shop on the way back to the condo and DH said lets go back so you can get one. So I got a henna tattoo. A cute turtle with his body a flower. I still have it but its waring off now. My splurge...

Picked up some shrimp and veggies to put on skewers on the BBQ for dinner that night.

Sunday, Super Bowl. This was a laundry day and pack up day to head to Hilo the next morning. DH had been very good about the TV but insisted on watching the SB.. I still enjoyed the lanai and cabana area one last day watching the whales. Well I sure woke up the complex when this whale came up like a torpedo strait out of the water, his whole body and came down with this huge splash. I let out a haller and scared the you know what out of this lady next to us. We had to laugh. She thought I was being killed. What a great highlight for me. DH was standing there and looked up to see it.

Remember the pulled pork from costco. Well I bought some Hawaiian BBQ sauce and buns and made some BBQ pork sandwiches with KTA's wonderful mac salad. DH ate 3 of those... They were good.. I'll have to check my costco to see if they have this. This would be great when the gang comes over. Well my time in Kailua Kona went by way too fast. We were able to do a lot of relaxing. We really enjoyed our time and this condo worked perfectly for us. We both realize we need to stay at least 3 weeks should we be so lucky to get back. I'll start the Hilo side soon.. Feel free to ask question

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report 7 days Kailua Kona 4 days Hilo side

Well we got up early as usual. Had breakfast the got out of condo by 9AM.Delivered the keys back to Suncrest Started our drive to the Hilo side of the Big Island. Couldn't get on 190 so took 19 over. We didn't stop in Waimea but did make a stop at Tex's drive in for there delicious malasadas. Then we stopped at the Hawaiian Tropical Botanical Garden. WOW what a beautiful place. The orchid were spectacular. I grow orchids so I really appreciate them. It was quite a walk up and down. They had golf carts to take people up and down who have issues. DH and I needed the exercise so we walked the whole garden. Make sure you take water with you. So glad, the ocean part of the garden was wonderful and very rustic and wild. the only thing that bothered me was the beautiful Makkah Parrots in the cage. that bothered me to see these beautiful birds in a cage.

We arrived in Hilo about 230Pm to our Bay House BnB. We were greated by our Host Tom who was very helpful to our checking in and our luggage. He suggested the Cafe Pesto for dinner. So after un-packing and settling in. We headed out to the town and then out for a early dinner at Cafe Pesto. It was great. Please see my review. DH and I had the specials and of corse the nice house wine. this was day 1 of the Hilo side Day 2 will be a long review so will save it for another post. I have to say I loved this BnB It felt like Hawaii. The lanai was right on Hilo Bay. We could see the ship and the surfers. Then as soon as the sun went down we heard these coqui frog chirping. I wasn't sure at first what they were then I remembered hearing about them. They were quite delightful. We didn't find them offensive at all. They did quite down but we were so tired we drifted right off. The weather on the Hilo side was very nice and warm. I realize that they needed rain but it was really staying nice for us. tomorrow I'll be reviewing the VNP We spent the whole say there. I sure hope you all are enjoying my review and find it helpful. Please feel free to ask questions.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report 7 days Kailua Kona 4 days Hilo side

I'll try to wrap this up on this post. I don't think my TR is as exciting as most. DH and I like to take it easy and we are on a budget so we don't go on those expensive tours. If we can get it for free thats what we like.

We woke up in our lovely BnB I went out to the common room and turned on the coffee. Promptly at 7AM our basket of BF items were waiting for us. Tropical fruit, baked bread item like blueberry or banana. Hard boiled eggs yogurt, cold or hot cereal toast. More then enough for us to start our day. We took our tray and basket out to our lanai to have our leisurely BF. We had this every morning. Different fruits and bread item.

We were out the door with our ruck sacks by 830 to VNP. First stop was the visitors center. Drove down the COC road stopping along the way at different areas. one in particular was the mauna ula trail. We hiked on that for a little ways. very rocky and I slipped and fell bruising fat part of my lower thumb. I took the brunt of my fall on that. So be careful folks. We also did the Thurston lava tube. The views before you get to the bottom are spectacular so take a look at those. At the bottom you still have to hike another mile to get to the lava over the road. Take a look at the lave sea arch. Reminded me of Arches NP in Utah but black instead of red. Spent some time at the visitor center and Jaggar Musem and since we had some time before it got dark we headed over to Volcano village to look around. We had dinner at Thai Thai. DH had Pad thai I had the yellow curry. We both had mild bc I head from another guest at the BnB ithe medium was too hot for them and they could take hot stuff. Very good dinner. At dusk we headed back to the Jaggar Museum to watch the sunset and see the glow of Halema'uma'u. Fantastic is all I can say. This is a not to me missed. The stars were out, we could see Mauna Loa and it was a full moon. We were a tad hungry since we had an early dinner so we stopped a Ken's for a bowl of soup. We each had the Portuguese soup. It was awesome, more like a stew. The end of a great day. I was very satisfied with my time at VNP. I was going to try and finish my report with this post but will try and finish it tomorrow.. Please feel free to ask questions. I'm happy to answer.

Edited: 21 February 2012, 19:24
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report 7 days Kailua Kona 4 days Hilo side

I really like the west side of the Big Island. I feel fortunate to get a chance to explore new places on the BI next week.

Enjoying your report.