We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pt. 2 Trip Report

Covina, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Pt. 2 Trip Report

Day 3:

Woke up to another glorius island sunrise. Kona coffee, portugese sausage, tortillas and eggs. Papaya. We ventured out early and decided to find Wailea Beach (69). The drive was short. As soon as we got there we never wanted to leave. Clear , calm, turquoise water. Honu. Beautiful (big!) turquoise and green and white fish near the shore feeding. The shade trees were great too, created our own little “hut”.

Drove to “Hawi Town” for Tropical Dreams ice cream (mmm lilikoi and coconut for me) and a little shopping. Love it. Very green after being in Kohala area! Continued on to Polulu lookout, stopped at roadside stand for oranges, papaya, mac nuts and starfruit.

Had some of the Costco pulled pork with teriyaki bbq sauce for dinner. My little guy had a bad headache—probably dehydrated ;(. Was shocked to find the nearest ER was in Waimea, 45 min! Went to Foodland Farms and got Pedialyte and Motrin. Thank goodness he was OK after a good nights rest. No kidding, have the kids drink water ALL DAY! I know we made sure the rest of the trip after this!

In bed again by 9.

Day 4:

OK, you get the drift? Yup another sunrise. Went exploring along the ML coastline. Saw those Aqueline pools? I LOVE the lava! Beautiful. More whales offshore…I swear I even heard them—is that even possible??

Stayed “close to home” at Maikaiwa Bay all day, picnicked on the sand, kayaked, and snorkeled.

Decided to check out Waikoloa area. Walked around the Queens Shops. Loved ABC store ;), became a guilty pleasure. Had Japanese noodles at food court while kids had a burrito-fix. Bought some souvenirs and hubs and kids snuck away and surprised me with gold “honu” earrings for my birthday—sweet! I love them, on my ears right now:)

I was very glad we did NOT rent in Waikoloa this trip—almost did. It was very nice, but had a congested feel to it, kinda “corporate” and reminded me of the O.C. Did not have any interest in seeing the Hilton. And, it’s still a drive to the beach at A-Bay. Although we saw a lovely sunset, and I loved all the coconut palms, “our” beach at ML was so much nicer. That being said, I would consider using this as home base if the price was really great, just to get us back to B.I.!

Day 5:

We are on the road by 8 am!

We were on a mission to get breakfast at the Waimea Homestead Farmer’s market. I forgot to remind my girls to dress warmly, and so $45 later they had “Printed in Hawaii” T-Shirts. Lol!

It was drizzly and a bit chilly as we enjoyed crepes made onsite, and our first “plate meal” of Aunties pork laulau, bbq and rice. We ate everything. The lady at Aunties told us how to make the laulau at home, we bought some seasoned sea salt from a vendor per her instructions. Also got some goodies for later—bag of papaya for $4, avocadoes, lilikoi bars, banana bread (yum!!).

Continued on to other side of island—rainy-yes—in search of waterfalls. Experienced our first (and happily, only) Hawaiian traffic jam. About 1 hour no movement…bad accident on Hwy 19 (hope they are ok) Could not see Mauna Kea-too cloudy.

Stopped at Akaka Falls, no charge for parking I think the thingy was broken. Beautiful falls (did not know there were 2 there) and lovely lush surrounding. I almost got trampled—literally—by tourist busload of people running—yes RUNNING and snapping cell-phone pictures-- though the narrow, slippery park paths. (Please be careful!) Stopped at fruit stand on the way out for coconuts with a straw poked in. I love how everything was honor system.

We were looking for the turnout for Hawaiian Botanical Gardens but missed it. We ended up in Hilo. Got gas, and left to backtrack to the turnout. By that time my kids were cranky and hungry, so we found What’s Shakin’ and got a filling, albeit very expensive, lunch. (7.00 smoothies, 11.00 nachos)The gardens there are gorgeous! I met a lady from our hometown there—what are the odds?

We were back by 4pm. Overall, nice day, although we missed a lot, I know. "MIssing a lot" became a theme for our latter days in Hawaii, but we saw a lot too and left plenty of time for relaxing. We will come back someday.

To be cont…………….

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pt. 2 Trip Report

Very nice! keep it coming :) Are there certain days Waimea Homestead Farmer’s market is open? Sounds like a great spot for breakfast!!! How long was the drive for you? And to Akaka falls?

Thanks - we are going this December :)

Lorio

California
Level Contributor
9,378 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pt. 2 Trip Report

Enjoyed reading your report. The part about Akaka Falls brought back memories. We were there with our now 18 year old grandson about nine years ago. It was late afternoon, and the walkways were deserted. The chirping from the birds was so loud that our grandson thought it was a tape recording.

Look forward to more.

Covina, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pt. 2 Trip Report

There is a list of farmer's markets online, days and places.(Do a search on forums too, I had a post about it before we went) They really are everywhere, every town has one or two. Wed and Sat seems to be the days they are held. The first Saturday of the month at the Waimea Farmer's market is supposedly the largest. We were there that particular Saturday but it did not seem "large" to us; maybe we are used to bigger being from California? But it was certainly fun with great produce/homemade goodies.

Akaka falls was about a 2 hr drive for us from Mauna Lani/Kohala area, Waimea about 35 minutes. We left at 8am that day and were back in Mauna Lani by 4pm. As for distances, I found the map reads "15 miles" and you think: "that's not far". But the roads, while good, are slow driving a lot of the time (especially on the eastern side), and it seems to take forever to go 20 miles. The island does seem vast, even though sizewise it's not. Leave lots of time to go anywhere and take your time.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pt. 2 Trip Report

Such a helpful report! Can't wait to hear more!

If you were to choose only one, would it be Akaka Falls or Botanical Gardens?

Thanks again, we going in Sept. and staying at a ML golf villa.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pt. 2 Trip Report

Thanks for Part 2. Big Island is gorgeous! I miss the place. ;-)

Vancouver...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pt. 2 Trip Report

My family and I are traveling this coming May; so excited to visit the big island. It is our 2nd time in HI...was in Oahu 2 yrs. ago and soon in the BI. Thanks Annmarin for this detailed travel report...can't wait for part 3!

Edited: 12 March 2012, 20:03
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pt. 2 Trip Report

Yay!! Paragraphs! Thanks. : )

Sounds like a great day. Look forward to reading more.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,295 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pt. 2 Trip Report

I love that you stop and buy the fresh fruits & vegetables along the way. That is probably my favorite thing to do anywhere! Thanks for your lovely trip reports.

Covina, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pt. 2 Trip Report

We didn't make it to the Botanical Gardens, so I'd have to choose it! There is a waterfall in the garden from what I heard, and along the drive you see numerous waterfalls.

We were so disappointed to be right there and not go! The kids were cranky, so what can you do?We really probably were too ambitious that day, but I don't regret a thing. Everything we saw was simply spectacular you will love it.

Covina, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pt. 2 Trip Report

Oh there are so many wonderful Farmers Markets and roadside stands we saw and visited--I LOVE that too and was not disappointed. The fruits on the trees are amazing too! 40 ft tall mango trees off the side of the highway, papyas everywhere, mac nut trees, coffee bushes in bloom, just amazing! I asked a lady what are the best mangoes to buy, and she said nobody really buys them, they usually have them in their backyard. !!!