We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scattering of ashes

olympia
3 posts
Save Topic
scattering of ashes

My brother recently passed away and he loved the big island and the ocean. Anybody have any thoughts on an appropriate place to scatter a loved ones ashes?

California
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scattering of ashes

Although scattering them in the ocean is the most common, getting them onto a plane is your first problem. Not sure if TSA allows it in carry-on's.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scattering of ashes

There are several organizations in Hawaii that provide this service. This one that does so on Oahu, Maui, Kaui, and the Big Island and this FAQ page should answer most of your questions.

www.hawaiiashscatterings.com/…

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,397 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: scattering of ashes

Aloha,

Here is some information

tsa.gov/travelers/…editorial_1296.shtm

Clint is , well, never into helping people

Aloha

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scattering of ashes

By the way Clint - why bother responding if you have no answer? Carrying ashes on board have more to do with the particular airline policy than TSA. Here's what is allowed:

"The container needs to not only securely hold the cremains of your loved one but you also need to be certain that it will not give off an opaque image when passed through the x-ray machine. If the container cannot successfully pass through the x-ray machine then your package will not be allowed on board the aircraft. You can purchase a travel urn that will hold the cremains of one or more individual for a nominal fee and it important to note to security personnel that you are transporting cremated ashes through the security x-ray machine. At no point in time should any airport security individual or other personnel open or contaminate the cremated ashes of your loved one and this is strict policy with all airlines out of respect for the flying passenger and the deceased. Please note that regardless of the airline you are flying on that the cremated ashes must be screened. Documentation from a funeral home is not sufficient to render non-screening and strict airline policy states that every carry on must go through security x-ray screening."

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scattering of ashes

Oh - redundant. Thanks Jet - was typing while you responded.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,397 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: scattering of ashes

Aloha,

Mahalo to you VCSnowbird !

I always enjoy what you have to say.

Gee, I think threads like this is special and deserves the proper respect.

Mahalo to you,

Aloha

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scattering of ashes

Did he have favorite spots he talked about?

I guess you would want to go somewhere quiet and off the beaten path, not on a crowded beach?

South Point is a cool place (but very windy).

Mo'okini is an interesting spot.

I would include Place of Refuge or VNP (the crater?) but I think you would need to check if it is allowed in National Park areas, and I am also not sure it is OK in Native Hawaiian sites for a non-Hawaiian. There are some quite sacred spots that if it is OK would be very spiritual.

What kind of image do you have in your mind?

Very sorry to hear about your brother passing.

Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scattering of ashes

Sorry for your loss! Either the volcano of mauna Loa. And check out Hawaii volcanoes natl park. Ashes to ashes. Or a sea faring trip on The Kona coast. It is up to you! I would go with nature! Again sorry for your loss! A few ideas! Take care. Good luck with whatever you choose!

9. Re: scattering of ashes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 March 2012, 20:05
San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: scattering of ashes

We had no problems with my Dad's Ashes & TSA 's going to Honolulu on Hawaiian Airlines last year.