We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas - any chance for a cheap (regular price) flight?

san francisco
Level Contributor
644 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas - any chance for a cheap (regular price) flight?

We would like to go to the Big Island gain this Christmas but last year we had to pay an exorbitant price for the air fare. Normally, flights from SF to Kona are in the $500 range, At Christmas times, I see them well over $1,000 !

Does anyone know of it is possible to get a "normal' priced fare during the Holidays?

Thanks,

Bill

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas - any chance for a cheap (regular price) flight?

Pray. Pray harder. Pray even more harder. Take out your wallet and pay since the praying won't work. It's Christmas time!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,923 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas - any chance for a cheap (regular price) flight?

I don't think 'normal' fares exist between about Dec. 18 and Jan 8th. The one year that we booked flights to Hawaii for Xmas, we booked them almost as soon as they were released. They were priced about 40-50% higher than the 'norm', and whenever I looked later to see if I had paid too much, they kept going up. So, if you plan to go again for Xmas 2013, have a look at fares in late Jan. to see if they start out at a price that you can live with.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,957 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas - any chance for a cheap (regular price) flight?

And any special deals I have seen to Hawaii, Christmas is ALWAYS blacked out . . . how about picking another time to go? :)

san francisco
Level Contributor
644 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas - any chance for a cheap (regular price) flight?

I am a teacher so we can only go during school breaks.

- Bill\

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,957 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas - any chance for a cheap (regular price) flight?

Spring break and summer are usually cheaper than Christmas . . . but maybe Santa will come thru for you. Good luck! :)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas - any chance for a cheap (regular price) flight?

I have a one word answer...nope! Rather sarcastic, but sadly the absolute truth.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,178 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas - any chance for a cheap (regular price) flight?

Sorry Bill! You and all the kids you teach AND their families want to have a Hawaiian Christmas...airlines, hotels and condos all know this! Book what you can afford...I don't want to talk about what it used to cost me to fly our son home from UH for Christmas!! And that was 8 years ago!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas - any chance for a cheap (regular price) flight?

I work for an airline and I can tell you that it's all about supply and demand. Prices may jump down to be a bit less than our max "Y" fare, but by no more than about 100-200 per person roundtrip. That said, usually after 10-20 seats at that price are sold, they go right back up to "Y" fare and stay that way. Normal will not happen unfortunately. Look every day if you're really determined to pay a little less than 1000. If you see it at 800 or less within the next few months, GO FOR IT! If not, find out if the airlines have a flexible change policy where you can rebook cheaper flights for a small fee and get some money back after booking a higher fare. Hope I've helped!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,130 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas - any chance for a cheap (regular price) flight?

The rates that the Airlines can (and do) charge during this time period are mega high.

Will they likely come down....No.

In fact the prices you are seeing now ...will soon seem quite attractive. The rates as a rule will continue to climb until Sold Out!

I think somehow you knew all this..

Hawaii is a top Christmas/Holiday destination for many folks......what do they call that now......Demand.It is like no other time of the year.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas - any chance for a cheap (regular price) flight?

Pigs, flying ... everywhere!

I did see that Hawaiian Airlines is adding flights from the Bay Area for parts of the summer. I would sign up for their announcements and see if they add flights for the holidays as well.