We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay if focusing on the volcanoes?

Georgia
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay if focusing on the volcanoes?

My husband and I will go to the Big Island for the first time in June. We'll be there for 3 nights. We are mainly interested in doing a helicopter tour of the volcanoes and on going to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. With such a short trip, where is the best place for us to stay to be closest to the volcanoes and to maximize our time. We are booked at the Hilton Waikoloa Village at this time but will make changes as needed.

Thanks!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay if focusing on the volcanoes?

if it were I ,I would spent the whole time in Volcano at the oarks entrance there are good places and food and right there I am not a fan of the very short and very expensive for what you get 5 to 10 min over the volcano for 170 to 230,

I'd look into a circle island tour by air that costs less than 100 more and lasts 2 hours not 40 min

Do the math its a 200 % better value for 50% more

2. Re: Which area to stay if focusing on the volcanoes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2006, 21:15
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay if focusing on the volcanoes?

Hi Perez,

Over the years, have stayed at Volcano House (4 times; most recently last month), Hilo Hotels (twice; both abysmal) and several Volcano Village B&B's (all AA+). However, the best experience was, by far, at Paradise Cove House:

hawaiihost.com/hawaiihost6_020.htm

It's convenient to both VNP and Hilo, and imo, one of the best values in all of Hawaii.

Colorado
Level Contributor
193 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay if focusing on the volcanoes?

I'd stay in the Volcanos area as well. Lots of great B&B's in the area that are very close to the park.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to stay if focusing on the volcanoes?

Hi

We only had one night but stayed at the Volcano House Hotel. We was the lava on chain of craters road and tool the helicopter ride the next day. If you want to see pictures, look at

www.AlandSueJohnson.com

Look under Trip Reports / Hawaii.

I wish we had at least one more day but was amazed by what we saw.

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area to stay if focusing on the volcanoes?

we have visted Volcanoes National Park on two wonderful occassions, and on both have stayed at the Volcano TeaPot Cottage, about a mile from the entrance to the Park. It is a lovely cottage with lots of special features (rainwater bath in a clawfoot tub, outdoor hot tub in a pretty garden area, every kind of tea and snack imaginable, scrumptious breakfast treats dropped off the day before so you can eat on your own schedule...I really can't list all of the amenities that the owners have thought of to make your stay extremely comfortable). The cottage is in a quiet residential area, and is the only building on the property (the owners live off-site), so you have peace and privacy galore. We highly recommend this place--you will LOVE it! Enjoy your trip, and the wonderful sights of the Big Island.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
147 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area to stay if focusing on the volcanoes?

If your focus is volcanoes then stay in Volcano (just outside the park) or at the Volcano house inside the park. You are there for the Volcano so don't expect the Hilton Waikoloa.

Here is an interesting bit of info - some of the B&Bs in Volcano say they are located on 30 acres of native forest. In the 60's this was Homestead land - 30 acres for a very low cost or free if you farmed it for 20 years. I think that is where the 30 acre parcel size comes from. My uncle had 30 acres of orchards - Plums and other trees that need a cool period.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area to stay if focusing on the volcanoes?

I don't think you can do much farming in the volcano area unless your crops are called pakalolo! :) Volcano Winery has triedd many different type of grapes and ended up shipping frozen wine concentrate here from California. Akatsuka is successful with the orchids but that's pretty much it.

Utica,NY
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area to stay if focusing on the volcanoes?

Kamaainawannabe... I went to the site that you posted for Paradise Cove & it really looks nice. Can you give me any more info on it? Do you know if there's a difference in the 3 houses that are posted on that site? Thanks for your help!

Georgia
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area to stay if focusing on the volcanoes?

Thanks everyone!

We have cancelled our reservations at the Hilton Waikoloa and booked our entire stay at the Kilauea Lodge. I tried the Volcano Teapot but they don't have a room available for our dates of stay. I also love love love the Paradise Cove House from the link shared here but hubby wants the full breakfast at the B&B.

Thanks again!