We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the "BEST" thing you ever ate

USA
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
What is the "BEST" thing you ever ate

So I am beginning to plan my second trip to Hawaii, last time Kauai, this time we are going to the big island. Will be spending a few days on each side so will have plenty of time to explore.

Last year as I was planning my trip to Kauai a show where chefs talk about the "best thing" they ever ate was on. Well low and behold one of them mentions this Ahi Wrap at Kilauea Fish Market. Immediately I jot down the name thinking I'm going there when I get to Kauai.

I also posted the question to the locals in Kauai and got some really good feedback.

I did try the Kilauea fish market Ahi Wrap and the food was so good we went back twice. Clearly the publicity on TV drove lots of people there because it was always crowded - but it was a great wrap. I also discovered delicious apple banana’s (not something we see in Seattle) and yummy poke.

So now that I am planning my trip to the big island I am curious TA locals, foodies, non foodies and all manners of eaters, what is the "BEST" thing you ever ate in Kona/Hilo. Doesn't matter if it is a shave ice stand or a 5 star joint. What is the best thing you ever ate?

Oh and don't forget to tell us where so we can all try it.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the "BEST" thing you ever ate

The best you'll get from me is per trip....

Fish tacos at Kona Brewing Company - good enough to do every time - YUM

Mushroom Risotto from Canoehouse at Mauna Lani.

Grilled portobello burger from Ocean Grill at Mauna Lani, but I'm still asking them to bring them back.

Pizza at Cafe Pesto had the best crust ever! The one in Kiawahae Harbor (going to try one in Hilo this next trip)

!

Edited: 10 April 2012, 20:06
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the "BEST" thing you ever ate

I forgot to ask about your fave's on Hawaii - both sides.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,395 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the "BEST" thing you ever ate

Loco Moco from Cafe 100 in Hilo. Hubby had hamburger pattie and I had Portuguese sausage & Spam. Great food, but it was also our very first meal in all of Hawaii, so definitely memorable!

3Chihuahuas

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the "BEST" thing you ever ate

The "Prix Fixe" at Roy's in the Kings shops of Waikoloa. Expensive but ohhhhhhhhhh so good.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the "BEST" thing you ever ate

chocolate dipped shortbread cookies from Big Island Candies and Maebo brand one ton chips both on the Hilo side but probably can get anywhere.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the "BEST" thing you ever ate

My last time out a classic burger and Kona Fire Rock at Annie's Isand in Captain cook was a pleasant surprise (just what the doctor ordered) w/ a large basket of fries. I like to finish my Big Island trips w/ a last sundown at Scandanavian Shaved Ice in Kona. The smoothies at What's Shakin just north of Hawaiin Tropical Botanical Gardens are always a treat. I can't say I've ever had a better pork chop than at Manago Hotel (but the sides dishes are just so/so). I had the best meat loaf sandwich ever at Lighthouse Deli if you are heading up Hawi for a day trip.

Don't forget to sample some good coffees while you are on the island. The Royal Kona brand impressed me last time out. You might want to stop by their visitor center when in the Captain Cook area. The coffee ice cream at Discovery Antiques was reeeeal good :)

royalkonacoffee.com/AboutRoyalKonaCoffee/Roy…

USA
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the "BEST" thing you ever ate

I haven't been to the Big Island yet - but after the many great suggestions from the Kauai locals I am hoping that the Big Island locals will also point me in the direction of some hidden food treasures and new food experiences.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the "BEST" thing you ever ate

Check out my restaurant reviews at http://konaforum.com for some ideas. I wouldn't leave this island eating Portuguese Beans Soup, Lau Lau with Poi, Poke, Pork & Peas, Pork Adobo and Malasadas. These you won't find at many places on the mainland. Sure, we have the best pizza, best sandwich, best whatever here too, but you can get those on the mainland too.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,485 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the "BEST" thing you ever ate

I echo typically tropical for the Portuguese bean soup. We stopped at the Koa Shop Kaffee shop - located in Mountain View - out of Hilo on the way to Volcano NP. A woman who had been traveling/staying on the Big Island for about 35 years recommended it to us and it was wonderful soup. Gorgeous koa wood products for sale in the shop near the cafe.

Had a great lunch at the Kilauea Lodge - nothing specific, but it was excellent.

Ahi Cesaer Wrap at the Aloha Luigi's in Hilo.

U Top It in Kona for pancakes with yummy tropcial syrup.

Happy eating! :)

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
185 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the "BEST" thing you ever ate

Mangosteens, grown at Ninole orchards and sold in the Island Gourmet Market.