We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

distance to volcano park

YYZ
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
distance to volcano park

I will be staying at the Marriott Waikola, how long is the drive to the Volcano National park, and is it do-able to visit the volcano and return back to the hotel same day? or is it better to over night in Hilo?

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: distance to volcano park

There are a gazillion threads on this topic. It's about 2-3 hours. Yes, it can be done, but a overnight stay is recommended so you can see the glow at the jagger and don't have to drive the scary road after dark. I double book sometimes or for shorter stays, fly into Kona and out of Hilo after staying at Volcano.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,456 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: distance to volcano park

It would be pretty impossible to get to Volcano from Waikoloa Beach in two hours unless you broke all the speed limits by a lot and ran into zero traffic. 2 1/2 hours is a minimum without stops.

I agree with Bips, overnight in Volcano if you can.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 00:46
LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: distance to volcano park

It's possible, but it's a long day and you have to compromise and not do everything one would like to see on the east side or in the park.

I have often visited the park from Waikoloa, but don't stop at Waipio, Akaka Falls, or do much of anything in Hilo for a day trip.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: distance to volcano park

Sorry, in my rush, I left out the 1/2 on the 2-3 hours. Last year I timed it from Kona to VNP and it was 2 hours 20 minutes.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
347 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: distance to volcano park

REALLY long - as stated tons of posts on this but weather is a factor and the roads are windy and two lane as well as mountainous in many areas.

Suggest staying over at least one night so you can go back and see the "glow" at night at Kiluea

If you are a really fast and unsafe driver I would say 2.5 hours, but could be over 3.5 each way. and not a "fun" drive

6. Re: distance to volcano park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 22:17