We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any direct flights between Kauai and Big Island?

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Any direct flights between Kauai and Big Island?

Does Hawaiian not offer a direct flight between these two locations, does anyone know of another airline that does?

I really don't want to waste any more time than I have to traveling between islands. We tend to be heavy packers so I have to keep luggage requirements in mind.

Thanks!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,976 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any direct flights between Kauai and Big Island?

I just did a quick search of the airlines and only found one direct flight on Go Airline at 6:30 pm.

Go would be problematic on many levels not the least of which is your luggage...they fly small planes.

Be aware that I plugged some Sept dates into Hawaiian and many of the most desirable times are already sold out.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any direct flights between Kauai and Big Island?

Thanks mamma. I did some checking but didn't come up with that one. We are thinking of going in October and will probably have to come to terms with a connection (ack!). I suppose there are worse things in life to worry about, ha ha.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,597 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any direct flights between Kauai and Big Island?

Aloha,

I'd go with Hawaiian Airlines. You should be able to ticket/check your luggage all the way through to KOA, from Kauai. Also, you will have all your flights right in the interisland terminal at HNL, should you not find a nonstop.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 00:24
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,649 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any direct flights between Kauai and Big Island?

It is a real pain trying to go to Kaua'i from here or vice versa. One usually has to pay a higher fare for one of the flights in order to decrease the layover.

We only just got two non-stops to Maui. If you think it is a pain to fly two segments to go to Kaua'i, think how we feel flying to Oahu in order to go to Maui, when we can literally wave at Maui from this island. Nothing like flying by your destination on your way to a layover. ;-)

It is the most inconvenient combo of islands in terms of travel, yet a natural combination in terms of taste. Unfortunate.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 00:39
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,427 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any direct flights between Kauai and Big Island?

I'm not aware of any nonstops between Kauai and the BI. According to the Go! Website, they dot fly nonstop on that route, so that would be a new one on me. I don't like Go!, but I'd be tempted to take that flight anyway if there is one, since I've never liked the whole HNL stopover to get there.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any direct flights between Kauai and Big Island?

Thanks everyone! If we choose to do the BI/Kauai combination it looks like we will have to connect in HNL. It looks like the flights are frequent so we shouldn't have to spend a lot of time on a layover, at least.

KamaainaK, it gives me shudders to think of flying past Maui, on your way to Maui! I understand it all but it makes my head hurt if I have to book a flight that takes me in the wrong direction.

I want to wait to book airfare to see if the deals pop up in the fall like they did the last 2 years (I got a killer deal in 2010) so I'm not ready to book anything yet but I want to have everything ready.

So, initially, I wanted to return to Maui (visited only once before) and visit the BI but then I thought why not visit Kauai while we are there instead of Maui? We really really loved Maui, though, and when I just threw out my plans to my significant other, he let me know in no uncertain terms that he really is not finished with Maui yet. And I am not either. And it certainly seems easier to get to from the BI. Maybe I will just throw in the towel and return to Maui ; -)

Could I like Kauai any better than Maui? Or would it just be a tie? Honestly, I don't know if it gets any better than Maui for us. I was ready to give it a try but maybe I'll save Kauai for next time.

I am planning on a week for the BI and 5-6 days for the second island. I can't wait!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,427 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any direct flights between Kauai and Big Island?

I think the BI/Kauai combo is pretty hard to beat, and you've allocated a good amount of time to both. Aside from Lana'i, which is a completely different and amazing animal, they are my two favorite Hawaiian islands by a lot, and they each make up for what the other lacks. Flying interisland in Hawaii really isn't that big of a deal, even with the HNL stopover.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,649 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any direct flights between Kauai and Big Island?

Such a dilemma!

If you're still lusting after Maui, go for it, or do Kaua'i. Either way you win.

Don't wait until close to date to book a transfer to Kaua'i, because you may not like the schedule or price.

Those fares only go up. As tiers of seats sell out, seats go from the base rate, in increments, to top out at over twice the base rate. I tried to plan a last minute trip where the flights that would connect me were way expensive unless I waited 3-4 hours, which got me into Kaua'i after dark, a full day of travel.

There are certain times of day that sell out quickly.

You might want to price it out now and get an idea of where it's at for now, notice the times that are already priced higher (if any).

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any direct flights between Kauai and Big Island?

Go!/Mokulele started a direct flight between Kona and Kauai last month. (I get their update e-mails.)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,427 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any direct flights between Kauai and Big Island?

Oh man, that's going to be a tough one. Hate Go!, love Kauai...