We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay

Hi Guys,

My wife and I are coming over in November but unfortunately we can only stay 3 nights with 2 full days. The main reason to come to The Big Island is to see the volcano area and hopefully the larva.Is it possible to stay in Kona and go to the volcano area for what would be a very big day. As i previously said we can only get 3 days tops. If not Kona where would you suggest. Hopefully a place that has a few restaurants around. We will be hiring a car from the airport. Thanks

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

Two full days?! Fly to Hilo and stay on the East side. It's not the area of good restaurants, but wherever you decide to stay (Hilo, Volcano or Pahoa) you will have a chance to eat two good dinners.

PS. I don't know much about LARVA, but there is no guarantee you will see LAVA flowing.

Edited: 07 May 2012, 06:31
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

Sorry about the spelling. Thanks for the info.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,805 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

Frankly, I wouldn't bother. I assume you're staying on some of the other islands, and so I'd allocate the time there. If you really insist on it, I would fly into and out of Hilo and just stay in Volcano. Whether or not there will be visible lava no one can predict. A helicopter tour is the best way to see surface lava flows, if any.

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
548 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

3 nights and 2 days are plenty to visit Volcanoes national park. It is about a 45 minute drive from Hilo airport. Forget about Kona it is hours away, you will spend too much time driving and can get stuck in traffic jams in the Kona area.

If you really want to assure seeing flowing lava plan a helicopter flyover as part of your stay. Many times the lava is flowing in areas inaccessible by car.

Stay in Volcano. We stayed in the national park lodge which is a bare bones room but excellent location.If you have alittle extra time on days of flights there are nice waterfalls near Hilo or they have an interesting tsunami museum

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay

The reason it is not recommended to make this trips not because 3 nights and 2 days is not enough time to explore VNP, rather, it is because the hassle and expense (both in terms of money and time) to go there for not much "pay off". There are not rivers of lava flowing in the park and gigantic fountains shooting into the sky, as are shown in films and commercials. Even from a helicopter ride, you will not view this. If you're determined to do it, fly in and out of Hilo!

Having said that, in conjunction with a long visit on the Big Island, I love a day or two at VNP to hike with the rangers and on our own, go to the Jagger at night to see the glow, and attend ranger talks. Staying at Kilauea Lodge is a treat and the meals there are fab!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay

If I were doing a limited trip to Hilo to see Volcano National Park I would push it to 4 full days and 3 nights would allow you to see most of south east sites Including Volcano, Puna, Hilo, Hamakua Coast sites. In that case an accomodation in Hilo would be central to everything wi/ maybe the Shipman House B&B for fest accomodation and Dolphin Bay Hotel for budget place.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay

Gwenbry, the "national park lodge" has been closed for years!

8. Re: Where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 22:15