We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captain Cook Area..June..right on the beach or higher up

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Captain Cook Area..June..right on the beach or higher up

Since it is rare to find a home with AC and we are traveling June 13th woudl you stay right on the beach (pebble beach) OR up the hill to catch the breeze? I think I've obsessed over this long enough so I thought I'd seek advice from this forum. Donna

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
30,918 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captain Cook Area..June..right on the beach or higher up

If by Pebble Beach you mean Kona Paradise, that's not Captain Cook and it's really, really far away from anything. I would rethink that. Oceanfront is usually fine without a/c and there's less vog than at the higher elevations, but that's a very long drive in and out of there.

If you notice vacation rentals are really cheap somewhere compared to prices you're getting

elsewhere, there's usually a reason for that. With gas as expensive as it is here, you often lose any value you're getting if a place is particularly remote. Some people do stay in the KP/Milolii areas and love it, but just be very clear on the driving time involved. 30 miles here is not 30 miles on the mainland and usually means an hour plus of driving, especially in South Kona.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Captain Cook
Captain Cook
Island of Hawaii, HI
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Captain Cook Area..June..right on the beach or higher up

thanks...I'm trying to please 4 people (ugh I know) my husband needs TV, my friend prefers a private home near enough to the beach to walk, and we all want to at least see the ocean from an outdoor dining area.... so I'm not asking tor too much!!! LOL! Thanks for the input on Pebble Beach. I'll keep looking.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
30,918 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Captain Cook Area..June..right on the beach or higher up

Well, the Big Island is really not a great place for beachfront (or close) houses, and while the swimming and snorkelling are good at pebble beach, it's not really a walking beach and you may encounter some less than friendly vibes from residents. Not dangerous or anything, just usually not terribly friendly. Combine that with the driving issue and I don't think it's a great idea.

Have you considered a condo? You can get beautiful, large condos at Waikoloa Beach and the Mauna Lani that are walking distance to beaches and have ocean views for around $200-$250/nt. Cheaper if you can live without the ocean view.

Alternatively consider a vacation rental in Puako, or, a big step up in price but a great value, IMO, for four people, a beachfront home on Waialea Bay. It's adjacent to Puako, and really has the only true golden sand beachfront, open ocean access vacation rentals on the island that aren't thousands of dollars per night.

In Kailua Kona you can find lots of oceanfront rentals, many reasonably priced, but they usually do not have any actual open ocean access and there are not any beaches to speak of in Kailua Kona, but you'll have great ocean views.

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Puako
Puako
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waialea Beach
Waialea Beach
257 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Captain Cook Area..June..right on the beach or higher up

I thought about Waikoloa. Not thrilled with condo life though. I'll check out Puako. Ideally, ocean view walking distance to the beach, TV and not too far from everything....that's not asking too much (LOL).

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Puako
Puako
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Captain Cook Area..June..right on the beach or higher up

yes, as was said, this is not the island for renting beachfront. You won't find the options you would on Maui or Kaua'i. A beachfront house here might cost ten million dollars. Wait, the land it is on would cost millions. If you are Michael Dell, Paul Allen, or Jerry Yang you can afford it.

If you want to vacation near access to the best swimming, beach, snorkeling and at a nice price, a newer condo is the way to go.

If you want a nice ocean view, check out the Kumulani and Waiulaula condos at Mauna Kea Resort (rented through MK Resort or VRBO or property management). There are breezes up there and sunset and view is great. You have to drive five minutes to park at the hotel (Mauna Kea), but if you get the amenities package, you are entitled to the same beach service as hotel guests, which is really nice.

The views from the other resorts will be more limited, as the terrain is more level and not terraced, so you need to comb through the individual condos.

Puako beach is not very nice for walking because it is so rocky, at least I found it that way. It would help if you were more specific about what you want from the beach. Strolling in sand? Swim? Snorkel? Sunbathe? Bodyboard? etc..

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea
251 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Puako
Puako
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Captain Cook Area..June..right on the beach or higher up

You can't really walk without shoes on Pebble Beach, it's rocky. Another consideration is the catchment water there. It hardly ever rains down by the coast there, so you would need to conserve water. It's not so much of an issue at higher up. BTW, that road is a killer on brakes and trannies!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Captain Cook Area..June..right on the beach or higher up

I think waikoloa is too far from some of the other places we'd like to visit on day trips. I'll look into condos down the Kona coast. I really appreciate the comments on pebble beach. I think I read concerns on another website and simply forgot

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Captain Cook Area..June..right on the beach or higher up

If Waikoloa is not central for you, then yours is a very atypical vacation.

That area is exactly where I'd want to be in June.

Where are you planning to visit?

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Canada
Level Contributor
9,442 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Captain Cook Area..June..right on the beach or higher up

The OP mentions a couple of times the desire for television.....Are there many places out there without TV service?? In our experience , staying in the South Kohala area offers accommodation with A/C, new construction, ocean views and close proximity to the Island's best beaches.

The weather is superb, clear blue skies, little rain.

Many of the units we have stayed in feature PVR/DVR as well.If you're used to having one it's a nice inclusion.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
30,918 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Captain Cook Area..June..right on the beach or higher up

If you want to stay in Kona (although given your beach interest, and the fact that it's summer, I'm not sure why), I'd look at house rentals instead of condos. Condos in Kailua-Kona are generally small and older and better suited to a couple. Familes and two couples are probably better off looking at a house, and you can get oceanfront/oceanview which will address your a/c concerns. The only thing is again, you will likely not have actual ocean access unless you walk or drive, and there are no beaches to speak of.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI