We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waipio Valley Horseback

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
138 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Waipio Valley Horseback

We are considering doing one of the horseback rides thru Waipio Valley. I haven't been on a horse in close to 20 years. I remember being sore the next day. Should I expect the same results if we do this ride? Thought about doing the wagon ride but it doesn't seem as great as the horseback. Thanks in advance for any information! !!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,764 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback

You'll be sore, but it's doable for everyone, including beginners or those who need a horse "refresher" :-). I find it a lot more fun than the wagon tour, which generally has more little kids on it, but both are cool. It's one of the best things to do on the BI, so don't miss it!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
627 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback

yup, I did that ride after about the same length of time since my last riding days - sore but not horribly so

didn't keep me from hiking a bit the very next day, but i definitely knew i'd been on horseback!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
138 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback

Thank you so much SheaG and newyogini. You have helped me make my mind up to do it. TA insiders are the best!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,522 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback

Same here, long time out of saddle but not sore after that ride, a bit sore after the 2 hour ride at Kualoa on Oahu. Everyone is a bit different and the ride in the valley is not very stress full since it is mostly nose to tail and slow.

Canby, Oregon
Level Contributor
789 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback

Does anyone have an opinion about which outfit to go with?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,522 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback

We used:

www.naalapastables.com/waipio.html

Super outfit. We really liked them.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback

In September we plan to ride along the rim of Waipi'o with Waipi'o Ridge Stables instead of going in the valley.

http://www.waipioridgestables.com/

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
138 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback

Thank you Brightonbill. That's the group I was thinking of using. Although both look great and get good reviews.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback

Like Bill we used Naalapa, and enjoyed it. However, next time we want to do the waipiordge rim ride

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
627 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback

Naalapa here as well. Our guides were great. My DH hadn't ridden since ponies-in-a-circle rides when he was a little kid. He was pretty apprehensive and the guide in the front of our group kept DH next to him the whole time and watched him closely. It went just fine but having that extra attention made it much easier for DH, and let me relax and enjoy my own ride!