We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Today's UA736 (KOA -SFO) flight cancelled

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,427 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Today's UA736 (KOA -SFO) flight cancelled

Today's United flight scheduled to depart Kona at 12:47pm for SFO has been cancelled. I know because I was supposed to be on it. :-( No word as to why.

As of now passengers are being rebooked on the red eye leaving at 11:15pm, which does not make me happy at all, but it could be worse (knock on wood).

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Today's UA736 (KOA -SFO) flight cancelled

Oh no! Wonder why? You are right , it could be worst, but I would not be happy at all.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Today's UA736 (KOA -SFO) flight cancelled

But look at it from those returning home....another day in paradise. Whoopee!!

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Today's UA736 (KOA -SFO) flight cancelled

Stuck in paradise....darn!

Canada
Level Contributor
8,964 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Today's UA736 (KOA -SFO) flight cancelled

Travel disruption is always a source of frustration.

What compensation was offered? ( delayed flight > 4 hrs)

Check your credit card for the specific trip interruption coverages.

Story of my life.

California
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Today's UA736 (KOA -SFO) flight cancelled

How much in future travel vouchers did they give you? They should have offered at least $200 per person, not enough to make up for the missed flight but it helps. I'm sort of surprised they didn't reroute you through HNL or OGG. Were you flying on Mileage points?

Kennebunkport, Maine
Level Contributor
1 post
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Today's UA736 (KOA -SFO) flight cancelled

Yep, what can you do? At least our gracious homeowner is allowing us to stay until 3p with no additional charges....but nothing from the airline. Time to write a nasty letter and get $100 for my additional car rental fees - fat chance.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,427 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Today's UA736 (KOA -SFO) flight cancelled

Right, I've been offered nothing for compensation or consideration and no, I'm not flying on points/miles (although I did upgrade with miles). It would be a bigger issue I suppose if I had a connecting flight to make right away, but I do have a three day stopover in SF before continuing on. Bums me out though because my already short visit with my young adult children in SF is now even shorter. I have brunch reservations and other plans tomorrow that my 11 year old and I will probably be blearily going through, having arrived in SF at 4am our time.

I loathe red eyes, especially the shorter ones where even if you can sleep on planes you arrive still half asleep and then are immediately dumped into airport and arrival chaos. But I am grateful I'm at least still arriving within 12 hours of my original flight instead of missing a whole day with them.

I know some people won't mind the extra day on island but I know others have jobs and kids and pets to get back to and connecting flights and these delays can wreak havoc. Especially having to check out this afternoon and then wander around with all the luggage until 10pm at night like a couple of hobos as Wanderlust says, lol. And in my case, I'm missing precious and rare family time. Oh well, I'll go drown my sorrows at the beach. :-)

Edited: 11 August 2012, 19:55
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Today's UA736 (KOA -SFO) flight cancelled

I have successfully managed to avoid United now for several years. Our upcoming trip to Kona on Alaska

Edited: 11 August 2012, 20:07
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,427 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Today's UA736 (KOA -SFO) flight cancelled

I've actually not had any troubles with United. I've flown them for many years internationally and have a lot of miles plus their travel credit cards and have generally been happy. In many, many flights between KOA and California, this is the first time I've ever had a flight cancelled on short notice.

One thing that does irritate me is how after booking a flight, you have to keep checking because they make changes and then don't notify you. They at least had the courtesy to email me about this cancellation, which tells me they obviously have a system in place to do so and could easily do the same about any changes.

California
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Today's UA736 (KOA -SFO) flight cancelled

You will most likely be getting an email from United AFTER your flight offering a choice of X amount of free Mileage Plus miles, 20% discount on a future flight or a travel voucher for $200. or so. If you don't get it just write to United's customer service address and include copies of all your paper work. It's a normal compensation package and certainly worth the time to write.