We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Time of Year to Visit

Texas
Level Contributor
149 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Time of Year to Visit

I have been to the Big Island before but want to come back. I am looking at 10-14 days. My options at this point are end of Nov-1st of Dec, Early February or Last two weeks in April. Which would you advise.

Brenda

Canada
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Time of Year to Visit

Depends on what " best time to visit" means to you.

Weather varies little....we always stay South Kohala. Of the dates you mention.....February would be my choice.....as the whales are the star attraction.

Accommodation pricing would be lowest in November (aside from Thanksgiving week)......then perhaps late April...if pricing is a concern.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Time of Year to Visit

IMO, the best time is sooner not later!!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,176 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Time of Year to Visit

The last two weeks in April will be the best water conditions at the beaches up north and likely better weather on the east side if you plan to spend any time there. February is the best for whales, particularly on the Kohala Coast, but Volcano will be cold and the whole east side can experience winter storms with lots of rain. Winter also tends to be more overcast in the Kona areas and brings winter swells that can be fun for bodyboarders and surfers but not for swimmers, kayakers and snorkelers.

As noted, the Kohala Coast is warm and sunny year round.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,002 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Time of Year to Visit

right, it depends on what you want to do in the water, if anything, any plans for the east side, what you want to get away from at home. (Texas, so not freezing.)

I would avoid President's Day/Valentine's Day, as it is usually a ski week on the mainland too and many weddings and anniversaries. You sure won't get any price breaks over that period, and things will be booked up.

If snorkeling is your main deal, then the end of April.

5. Re: Best Time of Year to Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 21:15