We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Sand Beach

NY
3 posts
Save Topic
Black Sand Beach

We will be driving from Volcano National Park to Kona. SHould we make time to stop at the black sand beach on the way? I am told that Kealakekua Bay is a must, but am not sure about the other. Any advice would be appreciated.

Rochester Hills, MI
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Sand Beach

I really enjoyed spending a little while there. It was so amamzing to see the sand, and see sea turtles swimming so close to you.

It is not far off track from koa to VNP or vice versa so i say, stop, take some photos and wiggle your toes in the sand.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Sand Beach

I certainly would stop there, if for nothing else but to break up the driving. It's just off the highway and if you are lucky you will see some turtles. If not, spend a little at any of the four gift shops there.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Sand Beach

Yes, you'll have plenty of time to stop at the beach. If I remember correctly, it was about an hour or some from the park. There is a sign that will lead you to the beach. Luckily, we got to see one of the turtles, it was HUGE!

California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Sand Beach

definately stop at the black sand beach, it only takes a second. i didn't even see a gift shop there....guess i was too busy looking toward the water. saw lots of turtles as well.

btw, kealakekua bay isn't a beach, and i'll defer to the locals on this one, but i don't really know if there's a reliable way to "drive up" to the bay.

so, if you're planning on going to the kona side to see kealakekua bay, you'll probably want to make reservations w/ a charter boat co. and either leave super-early from the volcano or catch the black sand beach after your trip to the bay when you're on your way back to the volcano.

(of course, i'm assuming your accommodations are at the volcano??)

Portland, OR, USA
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Black Sand Beach

You can drive up to the landing on one side of Kealakekua Bay. You may be able to make out the monument on the other side of the bay (especially if you have binoculars). You can then drive from there down to Honaunau close to the shore, rather than driving directly back up the hill. I suggest a stop at Honaunau, as well.

Punalu'u (black sand) is right off the highway, do stop.

California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Black Sand Beach

yes, you can drive right up to the "beach" at honaunau, but that's not the same place as kealakekua bay.

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Black Sand Beach

Definitely worth a stop! It doesn't take you too far out of your way, and is a great view--black sand everywhere, turtles in the water, resting on shore, close in on the rocks--we saw our first green sea turtles there and I will never forget it! Be sure and take your shoes off and walk barefoot!!!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Black Sand Beach

there are more than one black sand beach and Kahalulu beach at the Outrigger in Kona is also one with just as many if not more turtles than Punalulu to the south........turtles are everywhere on the west coast

Speaking of beaches, Kua bay has been opened 9 to 7 daily except wednsday. No longer a walk it is a paved road, with showers, restrooms, dringing wate, Picknich tables and paved paths and an excellent parking area. This is new and the facilities are the best in Hawaii. I hope the local kids dont trash it like somany others

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
222 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Black Sand Beach

Aloha, We will be going from VNP to Hilo Airport and wish to see a nice Black Sand beach. Which one is best? We don't mind backtracking a little. Mahalo!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Black Sand Beach

gotta go to Punalulu about 45 min mast the national park.... 1.5 hours from the airport, to see the southern Black Sand beach

Allow 4 hours in the park to look around.