We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any short day trips in and around Waimea?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
any short day trips in and around Waimea?

I'm so excited! I am coming to Hawaii for the first time and I'll have some free time in the evenings and perhaps weekends for a month to do some fun stuff.

Is it true that one can fly over to the other islands for cheap? Is it really that convenient to run around even for a day or 2 from Kona?

Any other suggestions for lunches dinners in and around Waimea would be appreciated as well. I love seafood, ethnic cuisines, and spicy foods.

Thanks,

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,158 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any short day trips in and around Waimea?

I'm confused, are you staying in Waimea or Kona or both?

Plenty of day trips and activities around both areas. Hike into Pololu Valley and visit Hawi, visit the Kohala Coast beaches, the fishponds, beaches, snorkeling and cultural sites at the Mauna Lani and Hualalai/Kaupulehu resorts, the many heiaus and historical parks in the Kohala districts, Pu'uhonua O Honaunau and snorkeling in Honaunau Bay in South Kona, the Hamakua Coast, etc etc. Read through the Top Questions here and trip reports to get ideas.

I wouldn't say it's "cheap" to fly inter island, it's about $100 each way.

Waimea has quite a few good restaurants; Merriman's, Charley Thai, Pau, Village Burger, Big Island Brewhaus. Solimene's isn't bad. Monstera at the Shops at the Mauna Lani has wry good sushi and Japanese. Original Thai in Kailua Kona is good, as is Rapa Nui.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any short day trips in and around Waimea?

I'm staying in Waimea, but I thought Kona was close enough to hang out from.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any short day trips in and around Waimea?

Sorry, I got a little carried away in my last minute excitement due to some last minute trip changes beyond my control....and I totally overlooked the "Top Questions" section. Sorry! I'll study it some more!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any short day trips in and around Waimea?

Do you think you might be able to pin point your exact location on the Big Island....a bit more? It is not every day that one learns of a first time visitor to Hawaii staying in Waimea town for a month?

Perhaps this is a business trip or educational session of some sort....as you mention free evenings and week-ends. Just wanting to have clarification as "Waimea/ Kamuela" can be listed as the location....yet the accommodation is actually down on the coast... In the resorts......oddly enough some of the vacation rentals are listed that way.......certainly leads to confusion.

If you are indeed staying in Waimea town....,Shea offers up some terrific suggestions.

Sure day trips are an option from KOA or ITO. most direct flights are to HNL.....lots to see and do there certainly if you have never been.......shopping, dining, Pearl Harbor.....etc.Wouldn't describe the total Cost as cheap though.

Edit: Sorry didn't see your clarification post regarding location...before I posted

Edited: 18 September 2012, 22:08
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,987 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any short day trips in and around Waimea?

Interesting side fact, Wanderlust, Waimea hosts a fair amount of longer short term folks who come for work. I learned this when I almost bought a rental there that catered to that business. One entity that brings in visitors for short term assignments is Keck Observatory, another is North Hawai'i Community Hospital, HPA (academy) might be another.

congrats on the opportunity to come, lasfloras ...

Lots to do on weekends, not much to do at night. You could drive down "the hill" 2000 feet to the resorts, maybe go to the Blue Dragon in Kawaihae. Kailua-Kona is not a good trip from Waimea at night. It's about an hour each way on two lane winding road. Shea can tell you places like bars to check out in Waimea. You could also go down to Honoka'a (small town to the east), not sure if anything goes on at night. Waimea is a good place to start interacting with local culture.

There are so many day trips you can make on weekends. Head east on Hamakua to Waipi'o, Hilo and VNP, head south and east over Saddle Road to Hilo and VNP and Mauna Kea (read TQ). Head north over Kohala Mountain or west to the Kohala coast and south to Kona coast.

It will cost you twice as much to get to Kaua'i because it's two air segments, but you can get a non-stop to Maui OGG or to HNL. If you crave more excitement, definitely pop over to Honolulu/Waikiki for a weekend. There are lots of flights for Oahu, and there is so much to do there, plus you do not really need to rent a car there, which you would need to do on Maui.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,624 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: any short day trips in and around Waimea?

You're saying *Waimea*? Are you coming to work there or at one of the Waikoloa Beach resorts? Will you have a car?

Canada
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any short day trips in and around Waimea?

Yes , KK Thanks for the clarification....I suspected as much given the brief details that were supplied in the OP. I can see how Waimea would be a perfect base for such pursuits.

It's a great town.

Edited: 18 September 2012, 23:11
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,987 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any short day trips in and around Waimea?

yes, it is, although brrrr in the wind. Bring a hoodie and sweats, windbreaker, and other warm clothes, lasfloras!

This is a good event calendar, for periodic and special events.

http://www.konaweb.com/calendar/

There's a musical events calendar on the same site, telling who is playing music at what venue.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any short day trips in and around Waimea?

Wow, thanks everyone! I'll be at the Belle Vue Cottages in Waimea for a month and I will have a rental car.

And, fyi, in case anyone forgot, the TA guidelines do not let us post about job-related or work-related trips; so sorry I had to be so vague.

I was originally planning on a 2 week trip, but just found out today that it'll be a 4 week trip....so I hope I have ample free time for the sights and all!

Good to know about the windy weather! Should I bother to pack any dressy clothing for dinner and all? Or can jeans/pants and sweaters/tops work in most places?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,158 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any short day trips in and around Waimea?

You don't need any dressy clothes. I'm not a fan of jeans though due to the possible wet conditions turning to warm, I think long pants and shirts in the vein of sportswear (Columbia, north face, etc) are better. Layers are good for Waimea because things go from wet and chilly to sunny and warm in minutes. As KK says, also a lightweight rain jacket/windbreaker, sweaters, comfy warm pajamas :-)

Lots of live music around Waimea and Blue Dragon as mentioned above. Not a lot of reason to drive into Kailua Kona, better food in Waimea. beaches are on the Kohala Coast. Recommend a horseback tour into Waipio Valley.