We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

discount hawaii car rental

Bremerton...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
discount hawaii car rental

anyone had experience with discount hawaii car rentals? i recently booked hotwire "hot rate" and it was anything but a hot rate. i was quoted 1200 dollars (plus extra for a second driver) and discount Hawaii quoted me 488 INCLUDING second driver! and i upgrade in class of car! i contacted hotwire and talked to three different reps all of whom told me that they are sorry i, but we will not change the price at all, and if you talk to my manager i will tell him what we have talked about and they will say the same thing. SO... my parents have not booked a car yet and i am looking for anyone who has used discount Hawaii. good or bad

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: discount hawaii car rental

luke,

we've never used them (we usually go thru costco), but i've read nothing but good things about them from folks (on the hawaii forums) who do on a regular basis.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,725 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: discount hawaii car rental

Aloha,

Many of us rec them all the time. To be honest, their business has probably grown hugely thanks to us!

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: discount hawaii car rental

sw...

check in the mail? ;-)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: discount hawaii car rental

We've used them on all islands with no problems at all.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,300 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: discount hawaii car rental

I've used DHCR several times and can highly recommend them. They will book you with one of the major car rentals with no pre-pay or even a credit card hold, you get the extra driver at no extra charge - change or cancel anytime. Don't know how soon your trip is, but if not too soon, make sure you check with DHCR again as sometimes they can get you an even better rate (way lower than the posted rates).

I know it's hindsight now, but never use Hotwire or Priceline NYOP without fully understanding how it works. Read ALL the FAQ's. Once you book it, you're stuck with it and you pay up-front.

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 01 October 2012, 23:11
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: discount hawaii car rental

I have a car reserved through them right now. This will be the 4th time I've gone through discount hawaii car rental, it's just so easy and never had a problem!!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,217 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: discount hawaii car rental

I use them whenever I travel to another island. They've always had the best price.

Bremerton...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: discount hawaii car rental

Thanks everyone. Just a follow up on Hotwire, my wife called today and she said they were gonna cancel it, but then noticed I was flagged as a " do not cancel " note on my account. Funny. I guess I should not have asked to talk Tj the bosses boss. I should have just called back the next day. Lesson learned for sure!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: discount hawaii car rental

Discount Car Rentals rocks!!!!

I went to book a car rental for our upcoming trip to the Big Island, which is still 10 days away and found that none of the major rental companies had autos available during our time period. Costco was sold out too. Priceline found me a car through Hertz but it was twice the rate we've previously paid.

In a panic, I started searching for other alternatives, including getting a shuttle to the Marriott and picking up a car there. Then, I came across Discount Hawaii Rentals. There were many good reviews about their service. Within less than 12 hours (overnight), they had emailed me a reservation for Alamo at a very competitive rate. It's just an email (not an official looking form) so I called Alamo directly and asked them if we had a booking. Indeed we do! SAVED!!!!

I am so happy to have found Discount Car Rental. They are life-savers!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: discount hawaii car rental

I used DHCR on our recent trip on Oahu and the Big Island and had no problems. They booked us with Thrifty on Oahu and Alamo on BI - rates were competitive and the cars were exactly as promised. The only thing that I did not like was that I could not manage my Alamo booking directly via the Alamo website, since it was made through a third party. With Thrifty I was able to do that (which was nice since I am a Blue Chip member, and wanted to use the priority counter at HNL).

I ultimately canceled the Alamo booking on BI in favor of a Budget reservation that I had made myself a couple months prior, but the Thrifty reservation came in very handy since I could not find a comparable car myself at that same price.

-JimG