We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brunch at Mauna Kea/use the beach?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
237 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Brunch at Mauna Kea/use the beach?

We will be staying at Mauna Lani but I have read about the beautiful beach at the mauna kea. I have also read that they have a lovely Sunday Brunch. If we wend there early on Sunday could we use the beach and then go to brunch? (or vice vets, but I am guessing we don't want to snorkel after a big meal!) I can't tell how long it takes to drive there--does anyone know?

Thank you?

Kona
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brunch at Mauna Kea/use the beach?

All beaches in Hawaii are public - the hotels cannot stop you from using "their" beach. They can control the parking, though, unfortunately. The Mauna Kea provides about 25-30 parking spots for beach public access - if you get there early enough (8:30-ish), you can probably get one of those spaces, but if you're later than that and when you pull up to the gate there's a sign indicating that the public parking is full, just tell them you're going to brunch, which you are . . .

California
Level Contributor
6,030 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brunch at Mauna Kea/use the beach?

You can but Mauna Kea only has a few parking spaces for the general public and they fill up early. Hotels are more than happy to have non hotel guests using the restaurants, money is money. All beaches in Hawaii are open to the public and hotels are required to provide public access to them.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,812 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brunch at Mauna Kea/use the beach?

It's just a short 5-10 minutes drive between the Mauna Lani and the Mauna Kea.

Just FYI, while Kauna'oa is a beautiful beach, the snorkeling there isn't much to speak of, it's much better at the Mauna Lani.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,792 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brunch at Mauna Kea/use the beach?

If you're a brunch guest, you park in the hotel lot, not the beach parking. You can go to the beach, but you can't use changing rooms; you would have to change in the bathroom.

Also it is a very classy brunch which although casual, isn't a thing you come to in your wet bathing suit and cover up, dragging your snorkel gear. Nor should you really be carrying your bag of gear through the hotel as a non-guest.

So you would have to change in the restrooms, before and after (you should arrive at the gate dressed for brunch, not for the beach).

And you still can't sit on their loungers or anything.

To me it is not the day to go swimming. To go for a walk, before and/or after, definitely. And you really aren't supposed to exceed your parking that much beyond the window it takes for your brunch. The brunch is staggered and they depend on people to leave so other people can arrive.

None of this is set in stone ... you can work around it, but you will likely feel like you are being kind of devious ...

try going to the beach in the morning, NOT on the weekend, and getting a parking pass, to use the beach, and enjoy yourself at the brunch!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,339 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brunch at Mauna Kea/use the beach?

Given what KK says, I'd try to get therer early for a beach parking pass. Go snorkeling, rinse off in the outdoor shower, sun-dry, put on clothes in the bathroom, put my gear back in the car, then go to my brunch appointment. :)

If overstaying a parking slot at the beach lot is a consideration, then I'd move my car to the other lot, telling the guard I was going to brunch.

One can look quite pulled together in nice shorts, collared shirt/nice top, sandals, damp hair in a ponytail.

Edited: 15 October 2012, 18:38
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
237 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brunch at Mauna Kea/use the beach?

Thanks all! Sounds like separate trips make more sense! Especially if it is that close to medina Lani

Maybe we will combine Mkea morning trip with afternoon yo another snorkel spot on weekday

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
279 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brunch at Mauna Kea/use the beach?

I have enjoyed their brunch many times and encourage you to go

I have brought swim gear changed in restroom at end of brunch & enjoyed the beach rest of day without problem

8. Re: Brunch at Mauna Kea/use the beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2013, 09:15