We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 Night Honeymoon Help

Boston...
10 posts
Save Topic
11 Night Honeymoon Help

I posted this in the Kauai forum, but curious as to opinions here too!

Planning on an August 2013 11 night (arrive Mon. leave the following Fri night) honeymoon to Hawaii. We are in our early 30s and neither of us have been to Hawaii. We’re coming from the East Coast, so I’m not sure when we’ll be able to make it back, if ever! We wanted something beachy and tropical, but my fiancé in particular can’t really sit on the beach for longer than an hour or without getting bored. We love hiking, exploring, trying local food, and seeing beautiful scenery. As for nightlife, we like going out to dinner/chatting with people in a bar, but we don’t need any kind of major scene by any means. By way of example, we recently went to the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica for 6 days, and had an amazing time – stayed in a small hotel, did whitewater rafting, hiking, ziplining, and spending some time on the beach and exploring town. We also did a ten day trip to Montana and Glacier National Park, traveled around to different inns and were very active and we still talk about it all the time. We were a little more tired when we got home from those trips than I would like after our honeymoon, though, so I think we’d like it to be a little slower paced.

From everything I’ve read, I know we want to go to Kauai for the scenery and activities. I also really like what I’ve read about the Big Island. My current idea is to fly into Kona, stay at a nice resort on the Kohala coast for 3 nights of relaxation and some exploring that area (Mauna Kea or Mauna Lani most likely), then head over to Volcano taking a day to get there, spend 2 nights and one full day in Volcano, and then perhaps a final day exploring the north shore on the way back to the airport for an interisland flight to Kauai (Fly in Monday afternoon, leave Sunday morning for Kauai). I would love to see Waipo Valley and the sunset from Mauna Kea during this time – nto sure if it’s feasible.

Then, the plan would be to stay on the North Shore of Kauai, probably in a rental – I like the look of Hanalei Surfboard House for a few days, then the last 2 nights at the St Regis before flying out on Friday. (We can’t afford to do fancy hotels for the entire trip but since it’s our honeymoon, I’d like to begin and end it being a little pampered). On Kauai we want to do some hiking, see the canyon, explore different beaches and towns. Oh, and my fiancé wants to golf on both islands.

So, this finally leads to my question. Is this too much for a relaxing yet active honeymoon? Should we stick to one island, which would probably be Kauai? I would like to see both since we may not make it back to Hawaii, but I don’t want it to be too crazy. Would appreciate any thoughts or advice!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,488 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 Night Honeymoon Help

I would not want to move around as much as you have outlined. Yes, you can 'do' two islands with as little as ten nights, but...it's your honeymoon, and you will need to spend the first day in Hawaii adjusting to the time change. (Will you have a little 'decompression time' between wedding and honeymoon?)

You could be happy on *either* Big Island or Kauai, but I wouldn't do both. On Kauai you could 'stay put' on the north shore. On Big Island, you'd want that split between Kohala and Volcano. If you must stay on two islands, choose two of the smaller ones. Does Maui have any appeal? You could split a stay with some time in Hana.

My DH and I are confirmed 'condo people' when we are in Hawaii. A tropical home away from home in a low-rise, low-density setting just feels better than taking an elevator to the beach from a tall building where you fight for chairs by the pool. LOL

Boston...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 Night Honeymoon Help

Thank you for the tips! My concern with Maui is that it will be full of families in August - even more so than BI or Kauai. It also seems more premiered toward big resorts, but having never been to Hawaii, I could certainly have the wrong impression.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 Night Honeymoon Help

We were on Maui the first week of August and stayed in Makena. It was as mellow a vacation as we have had. Kaanapali is more crowded. My vote would be for 11 nights for a first timer 6 nights on Maui and 5 nights on Kauai.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,339 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 Night Honeymoon Help

Go see what you call the North Shore of the Island of Hawaii by which I think you mean Hawi and Polou from Mauna Lani and stay an extra night there before you go to VNP. You do not want to sightsee with your stuff in the car and it is more efficient to fly to Kauai from Hilo.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,792 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 Night Honeymoon Help

Much as I love the Big Island, it is very hot in August and would not be my pick for a lot of hiking. Good time to visit VNP and Mauna Kea though. Great time to be in the water a lot if you stay Kohala.

South Maui can get south swell surf that time of year.

My number one choices in summer would be Kaua'i north shore, Kapalua and visit Hana on Maui, Koele Lodge on Lana'i, Volcano on Hawaii.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,812 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 Night Honeymoon Help

I'll be contrarian and say that with 11 nights, on a honeymoon in summer, I'd stay four nights north shore Kauai for its spectacular natural beauty, five nights Kohala Coast on the Big Island for the excellent snorkeling which Kauai doesn't have, and two nights Volcano for hiking, great weather, and VNP.

7. Re: 11 Night Honeymoon Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2013, 10:16