We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are Hawaii Revealed books not endorsed by locals?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Why are Hawaii Revealed books not endorsed by locals?

Just curious - comparing it to the Lonely Planet version and wondering why the Revealed series is not recommended? I've read various comments in Tripadvisor forums, but no clear explanations. Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,098 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are Hawaii Revealed books not endorsed by locals?

I am not a local. I have owned two copies of Big Island Revealed. I don't use them anymore. Among other things, the lodging and dining parts are useless compared to timely reviews and info on TA, Yelp, OpenTable, even Fodors. Nice photos though. I enjoy the aerial shots on theirwebsite.

The thing I find most objectionable is that it encourages trespassing on hikes that cross private land. After enough people do that, places get really shut down, eg the White Road hike.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,922 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are Hawaii Revealed books not endorsed by locals?

I agree with Honu on the reasons . . . both trespassing reasons as well as safety concerns. I will admit that I love the maps in their books, but I would take their advice with caution, especially when they talk about "public access".

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are Hawaii Revealed books not endorsed by locals?

I left three revealed books in Hawaii recently. They were old editions, 10 years or so. I had refused to buy new ones mostly because of their advice to cross private lands and do other cutesy things. I find their smug "humor" attitude very irritating. They write like they are long time locals which they are not

However they do have very good physical descriptions, like beaches. and sights to see, and good maps.

We do not use them for dining and sleeping. TA much better. Plus we usually eat in condo.

We did find the older editions a bit out dated for some maps, like towns. So when we go again will buy new editions.

Edited: 26 October 2012, 03:44
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,405 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why are Hawaii Revealed books not endorsed by locals?

Read this topic?

Echolynch was born and raised here, and articulates beautifully.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k64248…

I would add that I dislike the way the author has cost taxpayers a lot of money and even has the distinction of making it into the General Plan in the form of an item that goes something like how to counter the damage done by Maui Revealed. He hasn't cooperated when asked to help. He has used his PR and legal team to dance around.

It's not in the spirit of Aloha to thumb your nose at the people who are trying to be good stewards of the 'aina. He represents "the tourism of me and mine for the good of me and mine and be damned to you and yours."

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why are Hawaii Revealed books not endorsed by locals?

Thanks for the information. I went to Barnes and Noble and found several books, and remembered some posts recommending the Lonely Planet but I did like the maps in the Revealed book! I knew it wasn't well-regarded though, so I did a search on this forum for more information but somehow did not come up with anything of substance. So thanks to all of you for the great info.

KamaainaK, I read the link started by Echolynch and it was excellent, exactly what I was looking for. I didn't get through all 10 pages but it was enough to answer my question! I'm still hoping to find a well-done map on beaches, resorts and places of interest -- something like the Mapchicks Mexico maps that I've been so spoiled by. They are amazing and they are not only really easy to use but I tend to agree with most of their comments/reviews. I think KamaainaK and SheaG should conspire on a Hawaii version :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,922 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why are Hawaii Revealed books not endorsed by locals?

PDXtraveler - I LOVE the mapchick maps - I keep telling Laura they need to branch out to my other favorite travel destinations . . . or start a school to get other mapmakers out there doing what they do. They would be a wonderful help to Hawaiian travelers! :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,098 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why are Hawaii Revealed books not endorsed by locals?

The local phone books have great maps. You can also buy map books at Longs and elsewhere. There is a map for sale at the airport news stand and elsewhere done by a U Hi prof that shows roads and terrain. Thing is for driving in a rental car the Drive Guide and This Week and Big Island Gold suffice. Not supposed to take those cars on unpaved roads....

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why are Hawaii Revealed books not endorsed by locals?

Another option for maps is AAA. You can get them for free if you are a member. Just fill out a form online and they'll send them to you.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,922 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why are Hawaii Revealed books not endorsed by locals?

I should have explained on my post - whoops!

Mapchicks maps are so much more than just maps . . . they are more like a guidebook in map form . . . they take one town, and show every hotel, B&B, hostel, restaurant/take out, and activities. They are incredibly detailed and are updated every year or two by their very devoted makers.

Check out the site: www.cancunmap.com

Now, I do try to use google maps when researching, but it is nice for some of us visual planners to have everything laid out in one spot - as that is how I often organize things in my head, if that makes sense. :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why are Hawaii Revealed books not endorsed by locals?

Not a local.....a local wannabe....I do use them as one source of information but mostly I like the online WIZARD so I can look at the condo's I'm reaching on tripadvisor. It's nice to see a photo. One trip we read his "it's ok to trespass" on some hike on TRH - man I could no more park my car and walk past the posted sign then take a starfish off the reef. I would feel GUILTY. It's just one reference for me. Thanks for the information on this forum...new sources to use! Donna