We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mc Sweeney whale watch

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
962 reviews
Save Topic
Mc Sweeney whale watch

We would like to go on the Mc Sweeney Whale Watch in March. However the only day during the time on the Big Island that they go is our departure day. Our flight is at 11:37am and they say that the boat arrives back at 10am and is only 4 miles from the airport. Are these whale watches usually on time? The company says that they think we can make our flight but we have to return our rental car as well. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,184 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mc Sweeney whale watch

Eeeek. I would not try that. I would go on a different whale watch.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mc Sweeney whale watch

You really need to be back at the airport by 9:30...I wouldn't try this one!

You have to remember also that whale watches can be "trapped" by a pod of whales, they can not move the boat until the whales move on. We've had a couple of late returns because of this.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
962 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mc Sweeney whale watch

It is an inter island flight so I am not sure if that makes a difference in terms of time needed at the airport but this seems too close for comfort to me. McSweeney company said that we can call at the end of February to see if they add on any additional whale watches but is it advisable to wait until then? I saw that Hawaii Ocean Sport has daily watches but do you think that they would be booked by the end of February? Do you think that inter island flights at Kona airport require less time? Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,184 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mc Sweeney whale watch

You have to return the car...someone has to shuttle back. You could use the porters for curbside checkin for all before returning the car, but even so, the driver person has to return from the car site and go thru the security line. Most whale watches in Kohala like Ocean Sportsand Mauna Lani Sea Adventures do not book up way in advance unless they are doing a convention group. There are plentiful whales in Kohala. With all props to Capt. Dan, I would pick another day and go with someone else to have a fun and/relaxed experience. I would be hearing that clock ticking every second if I were trying to catch a plane on the schedule you mention...with visions of having to reticket and pay $$ and lose time dancing in my head. But thast's just me. And besides, I like going on the sailing catamarans a lot. There also are motor watches out of Kona like Fair Winds, or a sailboat like Kamanu.

Edited: 06 December 2012, 12:59
Mentioned in this post
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,161 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
962 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mc Sweeney whale watch

Yes, I agree. I usually don't mind hectic schedules but not when it comes to catching a plane. I usually like to have enough time for leeway in case of something unforeseen. This is a bit too close for comfort. Is there another whale watch company that is recommended? Thank you.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,184 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mc Sweeney whale watch

I have been on the ones I mentioned, all good. In my experience, if you go out on a boat snorkel trip or sunset sail in Feb. in Kohala you are very likely to see whales, making it a two-fer. Go on the snorkel first, then see if you also want a whale watch, or another snorkel trip or sunset sail for the money.

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,161 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
962 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mc Sweeney whale watch

We don't like snorkeling. I can't swim and I have bad sinuses, but I think Hawaii Ocean Sport has a 2 hour whale watch that we can go on. A catamaran ride would be okay too.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
8. Re: Mc Sweeney whale watch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 18:15