We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seasickness Questions and Suggestions

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Seasickness Questions and Suggestions

Leaving in less than 2 weeks-planning on snorkeling and whale watching. Can someone suggest seasickness remedies. Have looked into sea bands and Bonnine-dramamine was terrible the last time I took it.

Thanks so much!!!

Oceanic Patrol
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Adventure X Boat Tours
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Swim with Dolphins, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Liquid Hawaii
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Swim with Dolphins
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seasickness Questions and Suggestions

You'll get tons of anecdotal evidence here, but not necessarily what will work with you. By "looked into" do you mean tried? If you have ongoing problems, even with medications, you might first check with a physician to see if you have an underlying problem that needs to be addressed. Getting medical advice from total strangers can be risky, of course. Some people like the patches. My wife, who is a physician, doesn't like then due ot possible side effects fom the medications involved. If dramamine was "terrible" the last time you took it, perhaps you need to find out why. Folks here could lsit tons of things you could try, including ginger, the wrist bands, etc., but what works for one may not work for you.

I have the same problem with seasickness, by the way. Dramamine worked for me the one time I used it. Not sure yet what I'll use in late January when we go whale-watching.

Edited: 09 December 2012, 12:47
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seasickness Questions and Suggestions

I have problems with sea sickness too and find that if I stay hydrated and have some food in my stomach (nothing spicy) helps, vs. having an empty stomach. Having some plain crackers to nibble on throughout an outing on choppy waters seems to help. But if I know it's going to be particularly rough waters, I'll take Gravol ... but it needs to be taken prior to feeling sea sick.

Here's a link to some tips on prevention that will help on small boats as well as larger ones: …about.com/od/…seasickness.htm

On the second page of that link there are some suggestions for medication.

Just curious what your experience with Bonnine-Dramamine was ... i.e. why was it terrible for you?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,157 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seasickness Questions and Suggestions

Ask you doctor about the patches and antivert. Or, if it is really bad, justvstay off boats! Lots of other things to do and see. Shore snorleling and shore whalewatching up in Kohala...

California
Level Contributor
926 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seasickness Questions and Suggestions

When I went on a cruise I wore Sea Bands. The ocean was rough, but I never got seasick one time in 10 days. Before that, I had to rely on seasick pills, which always gave me a headache and made me too drowsy.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
131 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seasickness Questions and Suggestions

I routinely use Transderm Scop patches and have had no problems with the otherwise crippling motion sickness that would be inevitable without a patch. The key for me is to place it well in advance of the activity of concern - like 6-8 hours in advance. I took a manta ray night snorkel tour and made the mistake of applying the patch just a few hours ahead of time...I was not a happy boater that night!

Iowa
Level Contributor
12,348 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seasickness Questions and Suggestions

Maui#1,

There was a good thread last spring about this topic. Here is a link.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k521847…

Friscuba's post is very good. He says to use the non-drowsy formula of Dramamine or others. It is a better drug. And take it several hours before, maybe 8, and again 2 hours before your boat trip.

I've found that taking it with food helps too. And don't go below deck. Look at the horizon if you feel woozy.

Enjoy the snorkeling and whale watching!

Edited: 09 December 2012, 20:51
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seasickness Questions and Suggestions

I don't have the level where I've ever turned to meds, and I'm suspicious of all the seasick meds, so I do the ginger.

There is a product called "Ginger Trips" by Solaray that is very good. If I feel seasick, I keep one under my tongue dissolving slowly, fairly continuously. Even if you do meds, it's worth having as an adjunct if you need a little extra help.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
400 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seasickness Questions and Suggestions

My husband takes the non-drowsy dramamine the night before and then another dose one hour before getting onto a boat. He would never be able to scuba dive from boats without it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,196 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seasickness Questions and Suggestions

I used to get really seasick when I first started SCUBA diving in 1992, but found that the effects have lessened as I have spent more and more time on boats. I hate taking medications because of the side effects - even non-drowsy medication makes me drowsy, so I have gradually weaned myself off those. I am usually OK in seas up to about 3 feet, and I try to avoid anything worse than that (thankfully most of the East Coast boats will rarely go out in more than 3-4 seas).

Snorkeling is worse by far, since you are at the surface in the waves the whole time. At least with SCUBA you can get down below the surge limit, where the water will be calm during the underwater part of the dives.

What I try to do nowadays is stay near the middle of the boat (on the deck, not on the flybridge where the wave action is magnified) and look at the shoreline or horizon. I also try to avoid being around the engine exhaust if I can help it. I try to be one of the first divers in the water so I reduce the time on the boat when it is stationary (plus my gas consumption is good enough that I am usually one of the last ones back). Most importantly, if I feel I am going to throw up, I just go ahead and get it over with (over the side, *not* in the head!). This gives almost immediate (albeit temporary) relief from the symptoms.

As someone else mentioned, dehydration is a real concern, so make sure you drink plenty of fluids. If you cannot hold the fluids down, then take a sip, swish it in your mouth a bit and spit it out - it's not as effective as swallowing, but will get some fluids in your system.

Note that the only sure-fire cure for seasickness is to go stand under the nearest tree. :-)

-JimG

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seasickness Questions and Suggestions

OK I am a serious seasickness sufferer and have tried tons of remedies.

My main issue with a lot of meds is the dopey feeling, in Canada we have Gravol (in the US Dramamine) which is Dimenhydrinate. This has a high dopiness factor but it works great for long boat rides or flights when you can sleep.

Meclizine which is Dramamine II works really well and lasts for 8 hours you just have to remember to take it one hour before you leave.

Ginger in my experience stops me from puking but doesn't stop the pukey feeling.

Good luck