We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4nts Hilo/6 or 7nts Kona...enough time?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
4nts Hilo/6 or 7nts Kona...enough time?

So my sister and I have been able to move some dates around as we'd like to spend more time on the Big Island, so we can now stay in Hilo for 4 nights and Kona for 6/7 nights.

I know it probably won't be enough time, but seeing as we're also doing O'ahu, we need to split the time.

In the next few weeks we'll sit down to discuss where to stay and what to do etc.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
227 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4nts Hilo/6 or 7nts Kona...enough time?

10 Night for an amazing place like Big Island? That's much too short given that you'll never want to leave ;)

On a more serious note, 10 nights should give you just enough time to explore the island. You won't be able to see everything and you won't be ready to leave when it's time, but all that means is that it leaves something to be desired for when you come back.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4nts Hilo/6 or 7nts Kona...enough time?

If we could spend more time on the BI, we would but it's just not possible. Will definately have to come back another time...what a shame *wink*

California
Level Contributor
612 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4nts Hilo/6 or 7nts Kona...enough time?

HI Vanessa,

I totally agree with Guinnie....10 nights should give you just enough time to explore the island. You won't be able to see everything and you won't be ready to leave when it's time, but all that means is that it leaves something to be desired for when you come back....

We've been to the Big Island many times and there is always more to see and we keep returning.

Ten or eleven nights will give you the opportunity to do lots of exploring and sight seeing. Do you know yet ... which month you'll be visiting? I ask that because Hilo side is often rainy and Volcanoes National Park is cold and rainy in the winter.

I'm sure the DEs will have lots of recommendations too.

Have a great vacation and enjoy yourselves

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4nts Hilo/6 or 7nts Kona...enough time?

It'll work! What time of year?

Read up on the differences between Kona and Kohala, Hilo and Volcano, so as to pick the right area for you on each side. Consider flying in one airport and out the other.

Whatever way you work it, arrive early in the day from Oahu and don't fly out from the opposite side of where you're staying, as it makes for a tough last day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4nts Hilo/6 or 7nts Kona...enough time?

Yes we will be there late Aug, early Sep (29 Aug to 8 Sep).

Still looking for accommodation.

Car is booked but each time I see a better deal, I rebook. Currently have a reservation with Dollar.

And yes, will fly into ITO and out of KOA or vice versa...not sure where to start. Does it matter?

I've checked flights HNL to ITO and we wouldn't get in til about 4pm. Didn't check HNL to KOA. KOA to KNL departs I think 6am?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4nts Hilo/6 or 7nts Kona...enough time?

Getting into Hilo at 4 PM that time of year is all right.

It's really very hot here in September, so I would recommend staying up in Volcano for the sake of comfort, more like 3 nights, and would add one on the west side.

31st of Aug--Sept. 2nd is our Labor Day weekend. If you don't know our holidays, it is the last hurrah of summer, the big three day weekend, and a lot of people combine it with vacation, or take quick jaunts over from California/west coast.

Something to think about.

Which side you do first is up to you. Most people are very active on the east side and do lots of hiking, and do the water and relaxing on the west side.

6 AM is a very early flight out, ugh!

Just check your connections with your flights to and from Australia and see what works and check on the lodging and the car and see how the whole picture works out before you go nailing down the inter-island flights. You do have time, and it will cost you to change.

7. Re: 4nts Hilo/6 or 7nts Kona...enough time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2013, 10:16