We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Puna area to far from VNP?

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
632 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Is Puna area to far from VNP?

I am looking at rental accommodations for our 3 night stay on the this side of the island before we head to Kohala for 12 nights. My husbands main love is the ocean, free diving and snorkelling, however we are also introduced in seeing the Volcano National Park area.

Looking at rental accommodation there seems to be some really nice looking properties in Puna that appear to be right on the coast. There by giving us the best of both worlds, snorkelling the tide pools and seeing VNP. However I am wondering if Puna is a little too far away and if we would be better to stay right in the VNP area.

Thanks

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Puna area to far from VNP?

Puna is a district as large as the island of Oahu, so you need to be more specific about where in Puna.

Most of the Puna coastline has no ocean access, and I don't know of anywhere people free dive. You can't go in the full ocean in Puna; it's much too rough. People only snorkel in inlets and tidepools, which are shallow.

There are some nice properties. Many will not have potable water, but you can buy water.

If you can be more specific where you might rent, I can give you drive times to VNP.

From Kapoho, it is an hour or more, depending on traffic. There is only one highway corridor for accessing Puna, and it can be very slow during commute hours. The time I gave is non-commute time.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Puna area to far from VNP?

Ps. Volcano Village is in Puna too.

But I understand you mean lower Puna or Puna Makai. Makai (on ocean side) of Hwy 11.

Hawaiian Paradise Park, Kapoho, Kehena, Kalapana, and Hawaiian Beaches are where you find rentals near the ocean. Only Kapoho and to a degree Kehena have ocean access for recreational use. Kehena is a clothing optional beach.

3. Re: Is Puna area to far from VNP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 January 2013, 21:50
Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
632 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Puna area to far from VNP?

Thanks for that. I understand that there is no diving in the area, but some of the places I looked at in these areas said they were across from access to the Tide Pools, so I just thought this might offer some exploring for my husband when we returned from VNP.

The ones I was looking at were in the Kapoho area and Keaau areas.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Puna area to far from VNP?

It would benefit you I think if you read a little more about the area before you book. For example, Kea'au area is a bit of a misnomer. The Kea'au zip code serves a wide area, whereas Kea'au itself is very small and not a place very many stay. It is a large rural area with only two postal codes, Kea'au and Pahoa.

What you want to know is the name of the subdivision and the street it's on. Hawaiian Paradise Park, HPP, is probably what you are looking at, and beyond that a small area called Kaloli Point and the adjacent oceanfront to the south. Is that the location?

You should check out the rentals on Google maps, and use street view if you can. It should be available.

While the homes are nice out on Kaloli Point, the roads getting to them are not the best. They are private roads that are narrow and have no traffic enforcement, people speed and the roads are all up and down with blind rises. If you like rural, it should be fine, but don't mistake and think it's a quick run over to the tide pools when you get back. It's got to be 30 minutes.

The Kapoho tide pools are not always great for the type of use you describe, at a particular time of the day. They really are tidal and they can be dirty at low tide, so are best used at high tide. Whether that will coincide with your time there I can't say, as the times are always changing. You can find the tide tables on line though and work it out.

It sounds like you would like Kapoho, but do make sure it won't be all low tide when you come home.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Puna area to far from VNP?

The tide pool area in lower Puna is nice but the waters can be too polluted due to leaking cess pools in the area leaching into the shore line. If you choose to snorkel or dive there I would only do it after the ocean has flushed out the area.\

Read more on that topic if you like.

The average tourist will run out of things to do in one after noon in Lower Puna. Don't get me wrong I am coming back in April for 6 nights to say at my favorite cabin on a Puna banana farm but mostly to get off of the grid and be anti tourist.

Puna is a fun place to me but has no real good beaches or snorkeling and Pahoa town you can tour in one hour other than handy for shopping and dining.

I would consider staying near Hilo if you are exploring the south east sites for 3 nights will allow you to do a full day touring the sites north of Hilo along the Hamakua Coast, then one full day at Volcano National Park, then an afternoon doing a scenic loop of lower Puna and maybe dinner in Pahoa. On your transit day heading to the west side is a good day to do the Captain Cook sites and Kona town.

Good snorkeling on the Hilo side is pretty limited to Richardsons Beach Park and just a few places like that. I would save up my snorkeling points for places like Two Step (below Captain Cook) or Waialea Bay in South Kohola can be a good place on a calm day.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,805 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Puna area to far from VNP?

You'll get plenty of ocean in your 12 nights in Kohala. I'd just stay in Volcano. It's quite beautiful and has some very romantic and lovely accommodations, with great access to the Park. Especially if you plan to spend a full two days in the Park (which I consider a minimum for those who enjoy hiking), you won't want to be driving from HPP and Kapoho areas.

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
632 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Puna area to far from VNP?

Thanks everyone, really appreciated. I think we wil probably look to just stay at Volcano. There is just such a huge range of accommodation in both places that it gets a little mind boggling!

Thanks again.

9. Re: Is Puna area to far from VNP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2013, 04:33
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Puna area to far from VNP?

Boy, just breaking guidelines like crazy today, Sebastian. I used to li k your rentals, but won't any more.