We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 page rental contract it this normal?

Kissimmee,Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
12 page rental contract it this normal?

I am looking at renting a condo through VRBO. I found a good priced 2 bedroom condo in the Golf Villas in Manua Lani. Of course what looks like a good price at first becomes more expensive as things get added. A $200 cleaning fee, $50 handeling fee, $ 59 property damage fee and of course then you have to add the taxes.

I was OK with all that but then came the 12 page rental contract. First was the 120 day final payment with absolutly NO refunds. If I needed to change the dates a little it was $100. If I moved the furniture and didn't put it back it would be $250. If I lost a beach towel it would be $40. Lose a house key- $100, lose the garage door opener-$100, lock myself out and need to get someone to open the door- $100. The contract also said I had to leave the condo clean, do the dishes, take out the trash and strip the beds. Now I always leave the condos I rent clean but I have never been asked to strip the beds. I thought I was paying a $200 cleaning fee?

Is all this in a usual contract? I hope not because I canceled the reservation. I will look for a condo with a little less restrictions, a cheaper cleaning fee, and a shorter final payment.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
68 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 page rental contract it this normal?

I could highly recommend Kona Reef D25, good location, really nice condo and not so many pages to the contract! I have stayed here and loved it, owners are very helpful. You can find it on VRBO site. Robert

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,388 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 page rental contract it this normal?

That is not like any vacation rental contract I've seen. I'd move on, but not to the Kona Reef. Wanderlust here stayed in a nice Golf Villas unit.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 page rental contract it this normal?

Sounds like a bit of an extreme contract to me! Twelve pages is pretty comprehensive (read: long...).

We normally pay the final installment 60 days out, although an alternate rental we were interested in was 90 days out.

Refunds were possible IF the unit could be re-rented for our dates if we had to cancel, based on what the owner could recoup--which I think is fair. (We do have cancellation insurance anyways.)

We are asked to: tidy, put towels in one spot, replace the items we had moved back to their original spots, put on DW, put out garbage--just common courtesy requests. (I tend to do more but that is me, OCD and all.) Stripping beds has never been mentioned.

I have seen charges for lockouts, especially if the situation occurs off business hours.

The above is based on a number of vacation rental contracts we have signed.

Edit: Yes, as noted by Shea, Wanderlust is a very good resource for condos in the area.

Edited: 24 January 2013, 00:46
Kissimmee,Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 page rental contract it this normal?

I am now looking in Waikoloa Beach. Unfortunatly most of the less expensive condos in Mauna Lani are already booked for April. There is a real good choice in Waikoloa so I should find one there without too much trouble.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,388 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 page rental contract it this normal?

I wouldn't give up on the Mauna Lani (I much prefer it over WB) so quick. Look at the Fairways at the Mauna Lani as well as the Palm Villas.

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 page rental contract it this normal?

When renting a condo, because payment is due so far out, and can be a lot of money, it is important to check out insuremytrip.com, give them a call and get a travel insurance policy (that also includes other things) in case you have to cancel the condo for medical or covered reasons, or pay more for a policy with a cancel-for-any-reason provision. You want to get the policy the day you mail the FIRST check to the owners as a deposit (or the first day you spend money that you want covered on the policy) to get the preexisting medical conditions clause waived so cancelling for any medical reasons isn't a problem--just think about all this when putting out a lot of money for a condo.

alberta
Level Contributor
227 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 page rental contract it this normal?

Don't walk away from that rental agreement, RUN! It is ridiculous.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 page rental contract it this normal?

A rental agreement of that length must have some clauses that heavily favor the owner for additional fees, or absolve them of certain responsibilities.

As above, run run away. You don't want to do busines with a jerk who would send you a rental agreement longer than your mortgage.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 12 page rental contract it this normal?

A note on the travel insurance:

as said, you have to buy it early to get the pre-existing coverage, but I believe the clock starts clicking when you make the first purchase of any kind for the trip, including the airfare. But read the insurance contract ... (I know, more to read).

Also I don't think those policies cover if the condo owner defaults, only if you have an emergency cancellation or delay. The policy covers "covered suppliers" which are typically not VRBO rentals, more like hotels. Last time I looked, but if it's changed please tell me.

Anyhow, yes, that is extreme.

However, reading on the Maui forum I have understood that stripping the bed may be SOP there now, as is taking out trash, starting dishwasher and starting a load of wash (towels)?

It's not your job to "clean" the condo, but to clean up any mess, and there is a difference. It sounds like this owner is way too nervous or else has been burned by bad renters, or used a template for the contract that is overkill.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 12 page rental contract it this normal?

We have seen our share of Rental contracts over the years. Most of them have been pretty basic, however we have also seen a couple of doozies.

I think 8 pages....initialing the bottom of each page was the longest. Some of the clauses that owners insert are based perhaps on their past experiences ...and/ or recommendations from others.

I recall one property in Southern California with a variety of restrictions and stipulations.....No RV's to be parked on the property, No filming of professional video on the property(Hmmm..), No use of fragrance inside the home,no children due to high-end electronics/artwork.....etc etc..Penalties would apply.

I have heard that some owners of late are requesting copies of the guest's photo ID(Driver's license)

Deposits and final payment conditions can vary greatly with common contracts asking for a deposit of $500 upon booking with the following balances due at 60 days out and then Final payment at 30 days.

I think the OP is clearly wise to have stepped away from this rigid contract draft....something tells me it would only have been the beginning.

What are your dates in April? Nightly budget?

Edited: 24 January 2013, 04:50