We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoreline access points for public in County of Hawai'i

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,545 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Shoreline access points for public in County of Hawai'i

I ran across this County page that has shoreline maps for each district, and a listing of public access points for each map, going all around the island.

hawaiicounty.gov/pl-shoreline-access-big-isl…

For each point of access, they explain the road conditions, parking walking involved, facilities if any, really useful information.

Another useful aspect is you get a very good outline of the shape of the coastal bays and points. You can see them on Google Maps too, but this is just the hard outline, so it really brings the coastline into focus.

One thing I noticed is they say a lot of places have hazardous waves and footing, including some that really don't most of the time.

I would just check some other beach sites for the scoop on the beach. Google Big Island Beaches and you'll get good sites. I think the County is being very conservative, probably with its liability in mind.

Note: The map itself isn't clickable. You want to click on the district names in blue above the map. The link to "important information" above the districts has a lot of good stuff you should read if you are visiting. Enjoy!

Edited: 26 January 2013, 08:09
fla
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoreline access points for public in County of Hawai'i

This is incredibly helpful, thanks. I particularly like that they give both the names of the bays and the common landmarks (such as hotels) that are nearby -- some sites list one but not the other, and it can get confusing.

Elk Grove...
Level Contributor
570 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoreline access points for public in County of Hawai'i

Thank you KK! That is a great resource which will be very helpful.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoreline access points for public in County of Hawai'i

Once again, you are a terrific resource and ambassador for your home.

Thanks,

Karen

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,545 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoreline access points for public in County of Hawai'i

Thanks so much!

I should have named this something snappier like "Secret map shows you best hidden beaches on the island!"

I guess I was thinking like librarian when I named it last night. ;-)

When I ran across it I wasn't searching for public access info at all. I was looking up the permit status of Kona Village, and for whatever reason it was one of the results, looked intriguing.

Even though I lived on the west side for a couple years (during which I had a lot to do other than explore), I didn't find every access to the shoreline. The whole stretch from Honokohau to Kawaihae isn't exactly transparent as to how get to that beautiful blue ocean that looks so close but has all those forbidding lava fields between you and the shore.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,263 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoreline access points for public in County of Hawai'i

Ha! Yes, a sexier title with some blue book-type wording could have generated lots of interest! Lol. Thanks, this was very interesting.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shoreline access points for public in County of Hawai'i

Once again, you are a terrific resource and ambassador for your home.

Thanks,

Karen

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shoreline access points for public in County of Hawai'i

Last time I met Shea, next time, next year, I'd love to treat you both for lunch.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,545 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shoreline access points for public in County of Hawai'i

You're so kind, Karen!

Shea, well, I can't rename it, but it may indeed remain a secret resource that will only be found by those who open up topics that sound dry and technical. ;-) You just never know what a click of a link will "reveal."

How clever of the County of Hawai'i to hide this from us in plain sight as a not so sexy link on their home page. Obviously they don't want us to know how to get to these beaches, and want to keep it just for the civil servants! ;-)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,263 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shoreline access points for public in County of Hawai'i

Karen, I'd love to have lunch with you and KK when you return. I'm so glad you share our love for our island and would really enjoy getting to know you better.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shoreline access points for public in County of Hawai'i

Probably May next year.

Karen