We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time share presentation swag

Stanwood, Washington
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Time share presentation swag

wife and I will be Kona side at the end of June for 2 weeks. We are looking for the timeshare presentations that offers the best swag (I know, why go on vacation and submit myself to that?-- I teach sales so It is actually fun/valuable for me to do this)

Can recent visitors give me an idea of what they have gotten and how painful the process was?

thanks

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time share presentation swag

konamakai, it sounds like you're making your trip into a business deduction!

It's been a while since I've done the time share thing, but it was usually 90 minutes of time for about $100-150 worth of discounts (per family, not per person).

Texas
Level Contributor
818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time share presentation swag

We went to one in 2009 on Maui, and it was my daughter-in-law and I doing it, so we weren't even legitimate buyers (if married, they wanted husb/wife to be present, etc.), so we just endured it and got our almost-free luau tickets. Sit-down was about an hour as I recall.

Stanwood, Washington
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Time share presentation swag

Yes, thank you I am very experienced at this. Have done it all over the US and relayed the "tactics" to my students. I am looking for what I get for enduring and from whom.

Mahalo

4. Re: Time share presentation swag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2013, 01:36
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
907 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time share presentation swag

The best offer I ever got was from Shell Vacations, which has a sales offices at the Kona Coast Resort south of Kailua town. About a year ago they offered $200 cash, but they ultimately turned us away because we claimed a yearly net income lower than their minimum. In any case, be warned that they play very hardball down there.

I believe that the Hilton still offers $100 in script that can be used lots of places, and they have a more gentle approach.

The least onerous pitch I ever got was from Windham, but I don't remember what the swag was.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time share presentation swag

i remember almost not being able to leave the resort..this was in princeville on kauai..we wanted (and were stupid to think it was easy) the expensive fish buffet..hubby still is mad...

Texas
Level Contributor
818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time share presentation swag

We got our timeshare thing at one of the stands on the street that advertises on signs very cheap excursions around the area. I think I noticed one of those booths on Alii a block or or above the Palace, below the King Kam hotel, earlier this month.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time share presentation swag

Timeshare compensation is generally pretty commoditized, most stalls will offer you a $100 plus or minus pp discount on an activity or dinner. For that, you will probably be required 'endure' a multi hour sales presentation

Ive never done one only because Im not in the market for a timeshare , I wouldnt feel right about misleading a salesperson who depends on sales for a livlihood

Stanwood, Washington
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Time share presentation swag

Missika. There is a "depth" to this that you are missing. You are not misleading a salesman any more than you are misleading a sample provider at Costco. These companies gladly give you food even if you have no intention of buying that product because according to their cost analysis, enough will. (going back again and again for samples..ok, not cool) . Heck they were sampling Lays chips this weekend.....really? ruffles? hmmm....never had them, let me take a try.....

Don't do it if your 2 hours is more valuable to you or you don't like the tactics. (mine is not since it is for research) but don't feel guilty about misleading the sales people or for taking the free or discounted swag.

As for the commissioned sales people, I am honest with them. 'Unless what you are going to say is amazing and my accountant at home agrees, I am not going to buy and am taking notes on your presentation and will be passing your "grade" on to my students'. From that point on, they are free to continue as they please. many times, they just give me my "gift" and send me on my way.

10. Re: Time share presentation swag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2014, 07:16