We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Lani - good place for snorkelling? - which condo?

NZ
Level Contributor
169 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Mauna Lani - good place for snorkelling? - which condo?

We're thinking of making our first trip to the big island in September. We've been to Honolulu numerous times and have tried Maui, but thinking that Hawaii may be better for my husband, a keen, experienced snokeler. I've looked at a number of accommodation options and are currently considering Mauna Lani (possibly the Terraces). We like nice quality accommodation, prefer a condo with sea views and close access to the sea and pool. A few questions. 1) is the snorkelling good in this area? 2) Can you snorkel straight off the beach here, or walk to places with access? 3) Recommendations of suitable condos appreciated. Thanks

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,755 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauna Lani - good place for snorkelling? - which condo?

Hi, the short answer to 1 and 2 is yes. I'm thinking that you haven't read the recent topics yet, because there is so much in them about snorkeling at Mauna Lani.

Please read the second Top Question on the right and you will learn a lot about snorkeling this island's leeward coast.

There are many existing topics on condos in the Mauna Lani Resort, so you can find quite a bit by using the search or just browsing condo topics. I'm not saying people won't answer, but you never get all the people to answer a new topic who many have posted in the past, so you can definitely get more by reading the forum than just looking at replies to your topic.

A little reading will get you well oriented to the access issues too.

california
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauna Lani - good place for snorkelling? - which condo?

i asked a similar question a few weeks ago and i came up with these places (all condos): the fairways at mauna lani, golf villas at mauna lani, palm villas,and islands. i believe they all get private access to the beach club, which is plus for parking. from what i hear, the drive to go snorkeling is only a few minutes drive. i don't believe any of these are ocean front. we ended up booking a place on vrbo.com at the golf villas. good luck!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,778 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauna Lani - good place for snorkelling? - which condo?

Please do read through all the recent threads and TQs as KK suggests. The Mauna Lani resort area has several snorkel sites all of which are good, some are among the best snorkeling in Hawaii, especially for experienced snorkelers, and especially in September, which has excellent ocean conditions up north usually. Both the Terrace and the Point have direct ocean views/oceanfront units and are walking distance to the snorkel locations.

Edited: 08 February 2013, 18:47
NZ
Level Contributor
169 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauna Lani - good place for snorkelling? - which condo?

Great thanks. I'm limited to my iPad at present and the format of the website is different, so no information links in the top right corner as you'd typically find. I'll do a search, but sounds like the terraces might be a good option for us. Cheers

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mauna Lani - good place for snorkelling? - which condo?

I asked similar questions to yours a few weeks ago, and Shea suggested I also consider Palm Villas, which, according to what I've read, is a 12-15 minute walk to one of those snorkeling beaches/sites. I ended up booking a beautiful 3-bedroom unit at what I think is a great rate. We'll be there the 3rd week in September, so maybe we'll cross paths!!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,755 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mauna Lani - good place for snorkelling? - which condo?

You can access the Top Questions on your iPad if I can on my iPhone, which I just tested.

1) Leave the mobile app by scrolling to bottom of page and selecting Full Site.

2) Top questions are at upper right.

3) If you are in "original view" you will see the questions, but if in "expanded view" you only see a box.

4) To restore to original view, look under the top post when in a topic, the option is there.

Run a search for Mauna Lani Resort Map and you can easily find one with all the complexes displayed so the location will not be a guess.

NZ
Level Contributor
169 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mauna Lani - good place for snorkelling? - which condo?

Ah fab thanks. I always wondered how to do that, felt a bit cheated on my tripadvisor ap.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mauna Lani - good place for snorkelling? - which condo?

The Villages look amazing and quite upscale. Some mention an ocean view. I don't expect that the view would be very expansive.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,755 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mauna Lani - good place for snorkelling? - which condo?

You're welcome! I never use the app, even on my phone. There are several features not on the app, like jump to last reply, which I use all the time, visible avatars, and that I can't stretch the size.

10. Re: Mauna Lani - good place for snorkelling? - which condo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 05:18