We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf Courses....

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Golf Courses....

Ok - I've narrowed it down these two courses. we want to golf at least twice and want "nice" courses with amazing views. Are these good or is there another one that i'm missing?

Mauna Kea Golf Resort

Kona Country Club

Thank you - oh Yes, we'll be there mid-April :)

Lorio

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf Courses....

I don't like Kona Country Club. It has nowhere near the views or is as well maintained as the other options.

Mauna Kea is a gorgeous course, but expensive and difficult.

The two Mauna Lani courses are my favorites. The South course has the best views. Look for "twilight" specials after 1 or 2pm for good rates.

Edited: 15 February 2013, 20:10
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf Courses....

Last trip my husband golfed Big Island Country Club.... liked it well enough for the price but if I remember correctly no amenties

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf Courses....

Hi there... .Yeah - i'm thinking maybe not on Kona course now reading everything. Still going to golf Mauan Kea but now thinkg Waikoloa Beach Course as our second option.....

Lorio

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
272 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf Courses....

I like the Waikoloa Beach course, but you can do better.

Mauna Lani south is what most folks expect from Hawaii. I would also put Mauna Lani North on your list. It does not have as many ocean views as the south, but I think it is a way more interesting course than the North.

Mauna Kea and Mauna Lani South are similar in many ways.

I would consider going with some thing that is completely different and check out the Big Island Country club. It used to be a dog track, but they have put some money into it, so now the conditions match the views and course layout.

Shea - what do you think of BICC?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf Courses....

I agree, Mauna Lani south is much better than the Waikoloa Beach course.

I like BICC! And Makalei too. Nice, upcountry courses with large trees and distant ocean views, quiet and peaceful. I don't know that those kinds of courses tick the boxes for most visitors though, if you're looking for a close up ocean experience, and those courses can be chilly, I drove past BICC today and even though it was afternoon and sunny, it was 65 degrees. Mornings can be in the 50s and with spits of rain. Makalei especially can be really rainy, so mornings are best.

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
272 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf Courses....

I like Makalei, but there are a couple of reasons I am hesitant to recommend.

1. It really feels like a locals course. I have tried to walk on as a single, and the locals (regulars) just look at you and say, no, I don't want to play with him.

2. Hate the gas carts. Noisy and smelly exhaust. Really ruins the quiet of the beautiful surroundings.

Still... I have played it quite a bit. Sometimes by myself.

Edited: 22 February 2013, 02:19
Miamisburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Golf Courses....

Kona Country Club Ocean course is closing mid-March through Jan. 2014 for extensive irrigation redesign work.

Madison, Wis
Level Contributor
42 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golf Courses....

SheaG - Have you had any experience with kids on the Mauna Lani south course? The Ritz had a kids afternoon program in Maui but we missed it. Our 8 year old has been asking for this trip.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golf Courses....

My 11-year old has played both the Mauna Lani South and North courses in the past couple of years. They're doable, and the courses are very laid back. We often wave people through, etc if we need too. One reason we almost always play the north course is fewer people.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golf Courses....

Lorio, piping in a bit late, but this is my favourite topic! Golf is a big part of every Hawaii trip we take, so here are a few of my thoughts.

My top 2 for the scenic aspect would be Mauna Kea and Mauna Lani South. They are expensive, but in pristine condition. However, there are some deals to be had.

If you are going to play multi-rounds, the GolfHawaii Card from Hawaii Golf Deals has some sweet deals for multi-rounds for both Mauna Kea and Hapuna. You can basically get a round at each course for less than a single round at Mauna Kea. We actually booked our last trip through them to the Big Island and got a great deal on accomodations as well. I used to use them on Maui as well, but those deals seem to have dried up a bit.

Look on Golfnow.com as well and there will be some great rates as well sometimes for Mauna Kea.