We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is up with this wind...Waiko..Blowa....!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
What is up with this wind...Waiko..Blowa....!

While we are not strangers to South Kohala...by any means..and the expected winds...the last few days have been really over the top....

Cushions blowing off chaise lounges.....palm fronds everywhere.

The winds have been really fierce..I suspect the helicopter tours might have been suspended yesterday. As I passed the Waikoloa Rd Blue Hawaiian helipad........at 0900. And 1100 hrs...all helicopters were still on site.

Boat tours ...for snorkeling...would be assessed on a day to day basis. I heard the strong winds(putting it mildly).. Are here until the end of the week.

I am no stranger to wind...being born in the windiest spot of North America....but this is crazy!!!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,466 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is up with this wind...Waiko..Blowa....!

It's happening state-wide,and unfortunately expected to last all week!

While we're getting lots of rain here in Ahualoa, we're not having much wind.

Edited: 19 February 2013, 06:49
Kona
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is up with this wind...Waiko..Blowa....!

Too funny - that's the name we use for the "Great Waikoloa Canoe Race" because 9 times out of 10, on race day the wind is so fierce the steersman can barely keep the canoe upright and moving the direction it's supposed to go.

Last year in the women's race, the wind was so radical it flipped our canoe on the turn. After we got the canoe turned upright again (no mean feat!) I saw a paddle floating away and swam to get it, and when I turned around the wind had blown the canoe 50 feet away! I swam as hard as I could, but the canoe, which the other crew members were bailing, kept getting pushed by the wind further and further away. They had to turn it completely around and come back and get me - our third place became next to last :-(

In the men's race, fully one third of the boats could not finish the race because the wind was blowing so hard - it blew them backward just as powerfully as they were paddling forward!

And those are the conditions we expect up there. So, it may be unusual for even regular visitors, but it happens regularly enough to make me very sure that I would never want to live in Waikoloa . . .

Hope you get a chance for a respite, Wanderlust!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is up with this wind...Waiko..Blowa....!

Oh, we are here for a number of weeks..so I believe a respite will be in order...

Mostly, a comment on the intensity.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is up with this wind...Waiko..Blowa....!

The power was out in Waikoloa Village this afternoon, due to wind.

Mauna Kea summit closed.

Even where I am I woke up to light wind, which we hardly see.

The cause: NOAA says a high pressure system far north of the state is sending us this bounty of super-breeze.

I feel bad for all the folks who came over just for President's Day weekend.

The weather in Hilo area turned very nasty too, fierce squalls of rain from Friday on, no sun. It's almost like Hilo is sentient and knows when there's a holiday and has to uphold its rep to visitors of a gray, soggy, wet blanket on fun kind of place. But earlier this week it was glorious.

fla
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is up with this wind...Waiko..Blowa....!

We went to Honaunau Bay this morning, hoping it would be slightly calmer than up north and the surf was crazy. "Two-step" was very much a misnomer today as those who went in had to dive/jump in from the bottom step and then get hauled out by several people. Most people, including us, looked at the waves and settled for just sitting in the sun. :)

At least we could sit down though -- at Kaunaoa two days ago our excitement at getting into the Mauna Kea parking lot was dimmed once we realized the beach was doing a good impression of a desert sandstorm. On the plus side, however, it's been nice and warm and the fruit and poke remain amazing.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is up with this wind...Waiko..Blowa....!

Kauna'oa in sand blast mode is miserable. My sympathy.

When the wind is like this, the Hilton is one of the more protected spots foe walking. Normally it has too little air flow in the center of it.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What is up with this wind...Waiko..Blowa....!

You are Not Alone! We've had too much wind throughout our stay in South Maui this year. We had the 'wrong kind' of wind (Kona) when we arrived Jan. 4 -- so ran the A/C in the bedroom at night. Then a North Wind raked us for days and days without stopping. Then a brief spell of calm with light Trades -- perfect! Now it's 50 MPH gusts yesterday and today! We've had a little flickering of lights, but no outages at our place -- outages reported in Lahaina (and Honolulu).

8. Re: What is up with this wind...Waiko..Blowa....!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 06:17