We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kailua Kona speed trap on 11 north

San Francisco
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Kailua Kona speed trap on 11 north

A warning to drivers heading north on the four lane Queen Kaahumanu highway from the vicinity of Palani and Makala blvds. The four lane road speed limit is not posted frequently and is only 45 mph. It is very easy (I learned) to enter the road and drive faster than this as many drivers are, and also to "catch up" to clusters of cars. The local police seem to love ticketing this area. Yes local drivers, you are so safe and wonderfully glad that your police are keeping us tourists from driving too fast. But it is a speed trap and a tax on tourists.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kailua Kona speed trap on 11 north

There is a section through there that is actually 35 Mph......There is a wide expanse of road that lends itself to a heavier foot.

I am not certain that tourists are targeted more than residents....I have seen an equal split of each pulled over.

The signage of speed limits seems clear to me.......though low"ish" at points.

California
Level Contributor
6,233 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kailua Kona speed trap on 11 north

The whole island is a speed trap and I'm not kidding one bit. I've seen them give people tickets for 1 or 2 MPH over the limit. Completely unheard of on the mainland and judges here would never put up with it.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kailua Kona speed trap on 11 north

It's not aimed at tourists. I'm just as nervous about speeding up there because I fear a ticket too. If residents get ticketed less, it's only those who know that Big Island Police take speed limits seriously and who are very careful not to to speed.

I think it's gotten worse in the last year, but could be my perception.

I've never paid so much attention to exact speed limits anywhere else.

PS. That's Hwy 19 north of town, not Hwy 11.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kailua Kona speed trap on 11 north

It's not a tourist speed trap; that's a very uninformed assertion. The speed limits are set by the State Department of Transportation, and the enforcement is done by the County of Hawaii. The income from traffic citations goes into the State's general fund, so there is no particular advantage for Hawaii County police to generate income by setting up speed traps.

The speed limits are clearly marked and as with everywhere else in the world, if you choose to use the speed at which others are driving as your guide instead of the posted speed limits, you are setting yourself up for a ticket.

Locals get ticketed much more often than tourists everywhere on this island. That particular stretch of road was problematic for a while because the whole new piece was designated as a 35 mph zone while it was still considered "under construction" - even though it was obviously completed except for the landscaping. When a well-known Hawaii County Councilman was arrested for speeding there, he had a fit, was arrested, and community attention was focused on the issue of the inappropriateness of the 35 mph limit. Shortly afterward it was raised for the sections of the road heading out of town past Makala St.

45 is a very reasonable speed limit for this heavy traffic area with bike lanes. If you feel the need to go faster than that, you'd probably better learn to control yourself, whether you're a visitor or a local. Otherwise, you'll keep getting speeding tickets.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,346 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kailua Kona speed trap on 11 north

The moral of this story is...................? Simple. Don't want your money going into the state coffers, don't speed.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,598 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kailua Kona speed trap on 11 north

Exactly. This isn't a tourist tax. As KK said, and wahine alluded to, to the extent residents get pulled over less, it's because we are more familiar with the speed limits and the common speed traps. The BI has a very high traffic fatality and injury rate. While no one likes getting tickets, I'm grateful for the diligence of law enforcement in this regard. I only wish they were better funded and staffed and could have more DUI checkpoints.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kailua Kona speed trap on 11 north

Regarding DUI checkpoints, I once again was shocked (I don't know why these statistics continue to shock me!) that in the week from Feb 18-25, 38 drivers were arrested for drunk driving! 38 in one week! On an island with a population of only about 150,000, that seems insanely high. And those were just the ones who got caught.

All the more reason not to be speeding around on our roads . . .

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kailua Kona speed trap on 11 north

Agree!

Whenever I see the stats are lower than the prior year period, which is supposed to be desirable, I think to myself "fewer got caught this year."

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kailua Kona speed trap on 11 north

Just as a head's up --

A speed trap that most of you go through is between the highway and the airport on the airport feeder road. It's downhill and people can be in a hurry, and the limit is low. Airport police are all over it, so do the limit. Have had very unhappy visitor post here about this equivalent to the ticket on the way out of town.

Also be cautions leaving VNP heading south. There is a long section that is in the VNP, 45 mph, and it is the NP rangers/police there, and it's a federal ticket, and they lurk.

On Saddle Road, they are all over it now, and be especially vigilant going through Pohakuloa where the speed drops to 45 mph on what feels like a 70 mph plus road.

Edited: 01 March 2013, 11:54
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,598 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kailua Kona speed trap on 11 north

I got pulled over at the airport about two years ago. They gave me a warning but I learned my lesson. The speed limit drops from 25 to 15 after the rental car agencies. Since then I've had a couple instances of people angrily tailgating me when I drop my speed, then zipping around me when it becomes two lanes and glaring at me, only to be busted almost immediately by the waiting airport police. They also park and watch on the single lane road on the left as you're entering the airport, just after it drops to 15. People rushing to get planes get caught up in this all the time.

Edited: 01 March 2013, 17:09