We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time advice

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
first time advice

Ok good folks,

i've spent some time reading the forums, however i'm non the wiser for a first time visit. I'm thinking 3 islands, we have 14 days, we are not sun worshippers laying on a beach (we live in Asia) but enjoy the views from hotels/condo's,

We'll arrive Honolulu and begin the trip (I'm thinking 4 days?) I assume this will be Waikiki as all the forums point to here, we don't wish to hike much, we can hire a car if needed or on excursions from the resorts, i'm budgeting +/-$500/night accommodation. My initial thoughts are... Oahu, Maui, Big island, we want great scenery, waterfalls, drives, volcanoes, wildlife, some snorkelling, maybe a dive or 2.

would it be easier just to fly in then arrange all with a travel agent when we arrive or try to book all in advance??

thanks in advance for the help.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time advice

First, you have posted on the Island of Hawaii forum (aka the Big Island), you should repost on the Hawaii forum, which is for the overall state of Hawaii and covers all the islands.

I think 14 days is a little tight for 3 islands, I would recommend sticking to 2 islands. General rule of thumb is 5 nights per island, and more like 7 nights minimum for the Big Island if you want to see both sides (it is larger than all of the other islands combined).

You will need to book everything in advance, including rental cars, which you will need on every island with the possible exception of within Honolulu on Oahu (although it may be easier to rent a car there as well to explore the island outside of Honolulu).

When are you coming?

The Big Island is the only island with an active volcano (although you may or may not be able to see lava when you are there so don't necessarily count on it), it also has the best snorkeling and diving of all the main islands, so it sounds like that would be a good choice as one of your island picks to me. Many people recommend splitting your stay between West and East sides with most nights on the West side, which has the beaches and snorkeling and is the dry side of the island (also where most resorts are), and a couple or few nights on the East side to see the Volcano and other nearby sights.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: first time advice

Book in advance.

14 nights is too tight for three islands, especially with the jetlag you will have.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time advice

thanks, it'll be mid april arriving, i'll repost as suggested.

Edited: 28 February 2013, 15:34
San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time advice

Two islands. If you are not a city person I would skip Honolulu. Maui , Kauai and the Big Island are all fantastic in their own way. For a first time visitor I would recommend splitting your time between the Big Island and Maui.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,291 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time advice

First - it would be better if you posted on the State of Hawaii Forum instead of the Big Island of Hawaii Forum.

Second - you will need to rent a car. It sounds like you are comfortable with this - which is great. Often this is an issue for international visitors. Without a car, reasonably, you should stay in the City of Honolulu on the Island of Oahu.

Third - always count your nights, not your days. 13 nights? 12? I would stay on two Islands maximum. Understand that you will need to fly between the Islands, and that the process will easily consume a half-day or more.

Absolutely, positively book your accomodations NOW. You are planning very late. You also need to reserve your cars now. Hawaii is not the type of place where you can simply pick up a hotel room.

Do you have a good travel guidebook? Generally we recommend "Hawaii for Dummies." Rude title aside, it covers all the Islands and is highly-regarded. Also get a good map. Take a look at www.gohawaii.com. It's overly commercial, but very helpful.

I would go to Maui and Kauai. Maybe a day trip or overnighter to the Big Island for Volcanoes National Park.

When you choose your Islands, post your nightly accomodations budget on the appropriate Island forum ... and we can help you.

6. Re: first time advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 06:16