We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta Ray Snorkel

Canastota, New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Manta Ray Snorkel

We would like to do a Manta Ray snorkel, but my husband is not much of a swimmer or snorkeler. How much actual snorkeling in open water in required? Do some boats have a float with a rail to hold on to? Thank-you for your help.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

Can't say what the ones at the airport site do but the ones at the Sheraton site have float fafts that everyone holds onto and very little snorkeling or swimming is required. We had guy last night on our Sea Paradise tour that didn't swim and once the gal got him all set up he did great.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

We went with Sea Wolf in Dec with my Dad who has a serious heart condition and is not fit and it was fine. They had inflatable vests for everyone and you all hold onto a floating board. *However* I am lifeguard trained and a strong swimmer and stayed beside him monitoring the entire time. I was fully prepared to swim him back to the boat at any time. You are out at night in 15-20 foot water so keep in mind that can be unnerving to weaker swimmers.

It was my dads favorite thing of the trip - he barely took.his face out of the water for 45 minutes. I'm very glad we did it.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,606 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

Everyone does hold on to a float ring or raft and they do have inflatable vests, but it can be a bit chaotic with lots of people flailing about and dark water. I would make sure the guides know his comfort level and provide additional support and eyes.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

The tour operators should also give you a wetsuit for warmth. This will also add you your buoyancy, making it easy to float. Everyone holds onto a floating ring, but the ring is not really buoyant enough to hold you up, but the wetsuit is. Just remain calm, know that it will be crowded and you will bump into other people. Once the mantas come out, I forgot all about getting bumped and kicked.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
903 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

We did this with Big Island Divers. My hubby and son dove, and my father-in-law and myself were the snorkelers. You get to hold onto floats with lights. It was one of the most incredible experience! I had a manta come under me and rolled 4 to 5 times! Awesome! We saw 14 manta rays! Also try Kona Divers - another great outfit!

Big Island Divers: http://www.bigislanddivers.com/MantaDive.html

Kona Divers: http://www.konahonudivers.com/

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

Aloha,

I've been out with the Hula Kai a number of times and can tell you that their float is about 20' from the boat. In addition to the wet suit, they give you a noodle to put under your ankles. This helps keep you flat on top of the water.

\nnn/

Canastota, New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

All:

Thanks for all the great information. You've been a great help!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

It appears that a 62 year old visitor may have drowned (pending inquest on actual cause) on a night dive Monday.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/4968033/…

Doesn't say it is a manta dive, but don't know why else people would be diving after dark at Keahole Point.

Not that you should be fearful, but everyone should be aware of their limits and not think that nothing ever happens. It's not uncommon for visitors to die snorkeling here anywhere at any time (not specifically the manta dive), from cardiac arrest and sometimes drowning, but they don't make it big news -- perhaps because the incidents don't involve high profile air search and rescue such as what we've been seeing on Kaua'i.

I will post an update if they say whether it was a drowning or a heart issue.

9. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 05:19