We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather on the Big Island

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Weather on the Big Island

Which part of the BI has the best weather? Looking to stay by the ocean. Don't want to stay where there is lots of rain, but don't want a place too hot. I assume the weather is the same year round??

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather on the Big Island

The weather is not the same year round.

The western coast has the driest and sunniest weather. Specifically the south Kohala and Waikoloa areas.

The west coast farther south (Kailua-Kona) can be a bit more humid and has more problems with vog (Volcanic Fog), depending on the state of the Kilauea eruptions.

The eastern and southern coasta are rainier. Much more so in winter months.

It's windy and can be somewhat rainy on the western side in winter.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather on the Big Island

Here is a link that offers some weather stats. Scroll down or Big Island.

http://www.hawaiigaga.com/WeatherGuide.aspx

The South Kohala area experiences clear blue skies, little rain and close proximity to some of the Island's best beaches.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,040 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather on the Big Island

Sarge, it sounds like you haven't had a chance to read much of anything about the Big Island yet, as the climate is usually explained in any overview. I would recommend starting with a Big Island guidebook, and using the Index and Table of Contents to find answers to basic info like weather.

You really need to know the basics about the island before you are in a position to think about where to stay. Here's one online guide, but be aware this free one is done by the Hawai'i Tourism Authority, so it's kind of biased.

This link goes to the page that explains the different parts of the island.

gohawaii.com/big-island/regions-neighborhoods

I would get an independent guide too, maybe Frommer's or Fodor's would be good for the interests you have.

The books will explain your choices in terms of lodgings.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather on the Big Island

Here is Frommer's online guide for you:

frommers.com/destinations/hawaiithebigisland/

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,040 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather on the Big Island

Thanks, BuccaneerDave,

I had forgotten that Frommer's offers free online information.

We do have a Top Question done by dusty (Oahu) that includes Trip Planners, maybe I'll add this to it.

Sarge, if you would take a look at the Top Questions, including that one, the DE's are trying to get to the frequently asked questions and provide links to answers on them. Check out the ones on where to stay as well.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather on the Big Island

Not sure how Frommer's makes any money. I use, and recommend them, to anyone and everyone. Rarely buy their books. Always grab a Lonely Planet.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,040 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather on the Big Island

Lonely Planet is my favorite too. Thanks for that info Dave.

To the OP and readers,

We recommend the free online stuff so you can get instant information. We understand you can't get a book instantly. I'd still say if you're going to come to Hawai'i, you should buy a guidebook. So you spend $22, it's well worth it.

8. Re: Weather on the Big Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 05:15