We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon help

San Diego, CA
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
honeymoon help

I'm planning my honeymoon on the big island for this August and was wondering if I could get a top 3 hotel/resort list if money is no option. Additionally must eat restaurants would be helpful as would must do activities.

We are planning on going to the VNP but I was discouraged at the selection/quality of hotels in and around Hilo and suggestions? We are considering staying in several hotels which areas would you suggest. Thanks in advance

Texas
Level Contributor
549 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honeymoon help

Hilton Waikaloa Village is my fave. There are several resorts in the Waikaloa area that are top rated. Hilo and Kona area facilities are so-so.

See VNP and South Point. Start from Waikaloa just before dawn. Drive the highway through Kona towards VNP. Stop at South Point along the way. Hike the volcano and come back by way of the Hilo side, up through Waimea. It's a long day, but definitely worth it.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
186 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: honeymoon help

Aloha!!

Congratulations on your marriage and may you have a wonderful time on the Big Island. If cost is of no object then we would reccommend the Four Seasons. Service, grounds and food are the tops. We just posted our pictures of that hotel on TA.

For a romatic and excellent food and service we reccommend The Grill at the Fairmont Orchid. Be sure to make reservations in advance so you can get a table with a view.

Other top resorts are

Mauna Lani Bay Hotel

Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

All are top notch and on the Kona coast. We have sent many clients to each of these resorts.

Here are a cople of posts from our website.

The Grill

located in the Fairmont Orchid this award winning restaurant is both romantic and a culinary delight. Won the highly coveted AAA Four Diamond award for 2005. Expensive but worth it. Suggest reservations. We loved it!!

Coffee Capital

In Kona on the western coast, the world-famous Kona coffee is grown. Besides coffee plantations, you'll find a lot of things to do there on both land and sea, including scuba diving, snorkeling, snuba (a delightful combination of snorkeling and scuba) and sportfishing. Honokohau, Keauhou and Kealakekua Bay are also prime locations for all kinds of water sports and are overflowing with marine life. Kealakekua Bay is also the place where Captain James Cook lost his life in 1779. The Captain Cook Monument, a 26 ft (8 m) tall obelisk, reminds of this great navigator and explorer of the South Seas.

Again Congratulations and have a great time.

Mahalo!!

Deannatravel

Rochester Hills, MI
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: honeymoon help

Top 3 luxe hotels:

4 Seasons Hualalai (spelling?)

Mauna Lani

Fairmont Orchid...

all have been on the travel channel and fine living channel as most luxerious.

we got married AT the mauna lani and it was very upscale. everything was perfect.

I reasearched for about 12 months before deciding on location.

I wanted to make sure that the resort was going to be best since we did spend a lot of money there.

congrats!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: honeymoon help

Arleta,

IMHO:

Kona Village Resort (hey you said price was not an issue)

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

Four Seasons Hualalai

Dining: Upscale also? Merriman’s and Daniel Thiebaut in Waimea; maybe Jameson’s in Kailua-Kona

In Volcano if you want to the Lodge is very nice and a good break for a night or two.

Aerial tour – round the island by Helo is my suggestion.

Snorkel Kahalu’u and Kealakekua bay

Congrats, good luck and happy travels!

Rochester Hills, MI
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: honeymoon help

OH! i forgot about Kona Village. Definatly on the top of the list too... majorly romantic!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: honeymoon help

Echolynch has the best recommendation for you. The Kona Village IS the honeymoon place on the Big Island. The Four Seasons would be my second choice, followed by the Orchid/Mauna Lani/Mauna Kea. It's easier in Kona, the Sheraton clearly is the winner. I would NOT even consider the Hilton and the Marriott for a honeymoon. The best resort restaurants are Pahuia (Four Seasons) Hale Samoa (Kona Village Resort) and the Canoe House (Mauna Lani) but there are several restaurants like Merriman's and Daniel Thiebaut's in Waimea and The Lodge at Volcano that I wouldn't miss. For more restaurant reviews check out www.konaforum.com.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: honeymoon help

for a honey moon I would want very private lush grounds a stunning beach and romantic dining.

The only two hotels here that fulfill this are:

Kona Village Resort.... the #1 choice

Mauna Kea # 2

Both are behind gates, and gave a very exclusive and private feel... both have been here for decades and have the finest grounds and beaches on the island........

four seasons no beach and has good food and sky high prices

Fairmont no beach really and not that much atmosphere Hilton.. too many kids and no beach...

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: honeymoon help

If you are going to spend a couple of nights near Hilo, you might consider a bed and breakfast accommodation near Volcano Village instead. We always recommend the Volcano TeaPot Cottage, because it is an entire cottage, situated on about an acre of land by itself, and is very private, secluded and romantic. It would be a great honeymoon spot! Congratulations, and have a wonderful time celebrating your wedding on the Big Island.

9. Re: honeymoon help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 04:16