We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-snorkeling boat trip

Maryland
Level Contributor
444 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Non-snorkeling boat trip

We've read lots of great boat trips review that all seem to be for snorkeling. We're seniors and unfortunately don;t snorkel, so we'd like a quiet relaxing two-hour-ish sailboat trip to see scenery, either in the daytime or at sunset. We found a great one on Maui, but would love suggestions for something similar on the Big Island. (P.S. If you know of similar trips on Kuaui, that would be a bonus. Thank you!!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,388 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-snorkeling boat trip

The sunset cruises on the Winona (a sailing catamaran) out of the Mauna Lani (Mauna Lani Sea Adventures) are very relaxing. Generally a quiet group, and a gorgeous area.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 19:42
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-snorkeling boat trip

Ditto.

It would be helpful if you said where you are staying.

You should post separately on the Kaua'i forum for advice on that island.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 19:47
Maryland
Level Contributor
444 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-snorkeling boat trip

Sorry... we're staying in the fairways at mauna lani. And i do plan to do a posting on the kuaui board. I'm just spoiled since the folks on the BI board know so much about other islands as well. :-)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-snorkeling boat trip

:) If I knew anything about specific Kaua'i boat cruises, I'd be happy to share in this forum, but I don't. Some of us may have some ideas for you, or a Kaua'i DE who is reading may pop in here, but in that forum you get a lot of regulars and all that combined knowledge.

If you're at the Mauna Lani, then the Winona should be perfect in all aspects.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,388 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-snorkeling boat trip

When I go to Kauai, other than a little swimming, I don't bother with ocean sports. The snorkeling is lousy and every time I've gotten on a boat there I've gotten seasick :-)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-snorkeling boat trip

Save your sea outing for the Southern Star dinner cruise on Kauai. I will say that I am not a snorkeler but LOVE the Fair Wind cruise on the BI, I get an innertube and a view box and get to float around in a heavenly place. Please put it on the list!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,388 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-snorkeling boat trip

A lot of it depends on time of year. In the summer, I'd agree with mamma, and would say definitely go with a boat that explores the Na Pali coast of Kauai (the Southern Star is a great choice). Any other time of year, I would choose a Kohala Coast cruise over any Kauai boat. The waters are calmer and you are much more likely to spot whales and dolphins (humpbacks may be out of season but we have pilot whales and occasional other species).

8. Re: Non-snorkeling boat trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 05:16