We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairmont orchid or hapuna prince hotel

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
245 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Fairmont orchid or hapuna prince hotel

Which is better for a family with 2 young kids aged 4 and 6 (boys)? In terms of amenities for the kids. Also are the standard rooms able to fit us all or do we need to get 2 rooms?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,691 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairmont orchid or hapuna prince hotel

I'd be inclined to go with the Hapuna Prince although I think the Fairmont is a better hotel. Either of the standard rooms are fine size-wise, but the Hapuna Prince has larger standard rooms. Hapuna had a much larger beach. The pool at the Fairmont is better, as is the food and the spa, but perhaps more relevant to adults than kids.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairmont orchid or hapuna prince hotel

I would choose the Fairmont every time over the Hapuna Prince.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
245 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairmont orchid or hapuna prince hotel

Thanks for the replies.

LA
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairmont orchid or hapuna prince hotel

The Fairmont is more upscale hotel with a nicer pool, but the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel has what is maybe the best and biggest beach on the island.

I think I'd chose Hapuna if your kids love the beach.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairmont orchid or hapuna prince hotel

I'd take the Fairmont anytime. With kids the ages yours are the lagoon at the Fairmont is perfect because of the safety aspect. It has no wave action and is great for beginning snorkeling etc. The Hapuna is on a great beach but the hotel has a very sterile concrete cold feel to it. The Fairmont is just wonderful. It was born as a Ritz Carlton so feels very high end. We are going back for 10 days in early August. It's my favorite hotel in Hawaii.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fairmont orchid or hapuna prince hotel

I've stayed at the Prince, but only visited the property at the Fairmont.

I don't doubt the experts here who recommend Fairmont. But I just wanted to add that Hapuna Beach Prince is on one of the most fantastic beaches I've ever visited. The beach at the Fairmont is very small and unimpressive by comparison.

If a beach is important to you, maybe look at Oyster.com and Google Maps satellite photos of both areas to see the immediate environs of both properties.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fairmont orchid or hapuna prince hotel

We stayed at the Fairmont in January. The lagoon, as noted, is good for kids,but also good for adults. We saw alot while snorkeling there. You can get some wave action in the lagoon, especially near the rocks when the tide comes in, but generally it was calm. There were flags posted each day: yellow meaning moderate wave/wind activity, most days we were there,and red flags, for more waves, etc. on one particuarly windy day (bad visibility even if one did venture into the water to snorkel). There seemed to be a lot of kids participating in various water sports, both in the lagoon (mainly adults outside the lagoon), and in the large swimming pool. The Fairmont is not inexpensive, so you can end up paying a lot for meals, even snacks, but you can save by buying some food items at the small superamrket upthe street, or dining at the few restaurants there. Also, if you're going to rain snorkel gear, etc., you can save money by doing it at Snorkel Bob's in that same shopping area.

Haven't been to the other hotel, so just offering my views on the Fairmont.

Edited: 03 April 2013, 17:20
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fairmont orchid or hapuna prince hotel

Meant "rent," not "rain" snorkel gear.

LA
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Fairmont orchid or hapuna prince hotel

This rental site also has great beach photos that can help explain the difference.

www.hawaiigaga.com/big-island-beaches.aspx

Kona
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fairmont orchid or hapuna prince hotel

It's very easy to go to Hapuna Beach regardless of where in Kohala you are staying; more difficult to access the beaches at the Mauni Lani resort/Fairmont unless you are staying there. Thus, if you stay at the Fairmont, you have the best range of beach options.