We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thefts from cars at beach parks, parking areas

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,915 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Thefts from cars at beach parks, parking areas

There have been a number of thefts from rental cars at Kua Bay and Kiholo Bay in recent weeks. The informal highway parking area where people leave their cars to walk into Kiholo has always been a problem spot. In many cases it is luggage that's being taken.

Just a reminder that no one should ever leave luggage or anything else of value in their car at unsecured locations around the island. If you want to go to a beach after check out but before a late flight, or otherwise have to have luggage in your car, go to one of the secured beach parks, like Kukio, Kikaua Point, or Kauna'oa at the Mauna Kea. Almost all Kailua Kona public parking lots are also a problem, so don't leave luggage or any valuables there either while you eat or walk around town.

LA
Level Contributor
10,107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thefts from cars at beach parks, parking areas

Luggage? Oh that would really hurt.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thefts from cars at beach parks, parking areas

Good to know! I am always very cautious at Kua Bay.

With this topic started, I think itʻs a good place to add this Media Release from South Hilo police that was put out last week. The story in Hilo seems to be crimes of opportunity. People leaving keys in ignition and/or purses on the seat, of unlocked cars.

The stats are in a way reassuring, because there have not been many forced entries into locked cars, and no forced entries other than when valuables were left in view.

LOCK and ALARM your rental car, and donʻt leave any bait in sight.

Re Kua Bay and Kiholo, those sites are close to the airport, and a tempting stop on a last day with luggage in car. As Shea says, be smart and go to the beaches that have security guards handing out passes, and for sure donʻt leave your car by the side of the highway to hike all the way out to Kiholo.

Please take note that identity theft is alive and well and that thieves are interested in ID and other items that would enable them to commit fraud in your name.

Media Release from South Hilo.

Hawaiʻi Island police are warning the public about a recent rash of car break-ins.

During the months of January and February, 35 cars were entered illegally at parks, shopping centers and homes in the South Hilo District. Of those, 27 auto break-ins involved cars or trucks that had been left unlocked. The remaining eight involved locked vehicles that had been forced open after valuable items had been left in plain view.

During the same time period, police in Kona responded to 31 cases of unauthorized entry of a motor vehicle, and Puna officers responded to 25.

Captain Robert Wagner urges citizens to lock their cars, even those parked at home, and to remove all valuables. “If you lock your vehicle doors and don’t leave items of value in plain view, it is highly unlikely you will be the victim of a car break-in,” Wagner said. “Also, car break-ins in many cases contribute to identity theft, as thieves often target vehicles with purses left in plain view.”

In addition to thefts of items from within vehicles, Wagner said, some thieves steal the cars when keys are left in the ignition—often when the owners make a quick stop at the store.

Police advise the public to take the extra steps of removing car keys and valuables and locking car doors.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Thefts from cars at beach parks, parking areas

Thanks for the heads up Shea. I am concerned about leaving a beach bag unattended on the beach when we are snorkelling. Not sure what we would do with our camera.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thefts from cars at beach parks, parking areas

I donʻt recommend bringing a quality camera to the beach, unless one of you wants to watch it.

I generally use my iPhone for photos now. Itʻs something I would have anyway, and at 10MP it takes great pics. I only get out my good camera when my purpose is photography, not playing. Another good thing for the beach is a disposable camera. No one will steal it and it is fine for casual shots for memories.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,915 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thefts from cars at beach parks, parking areas

Just like with parking lots, some beaches are safer than others. I wouldn't have any qualms about leaving stuff on the secured beaches mentioned above, or at Makaiwa or Honokaope, but I wouldn't leave cameras, valuables or even phones on the beach at Waialea, Hapuna, Honaunau, Kua Bay, Kiholo, etc.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thefts from cars at beach parks, parking areas

The phone can go with in a dry bag, but a camera canʻt, is what I was thinking. What do you do when you go to Waialea, Shea?

Ten years ago, I left stuff on the beach here without a second thought about someone messing with my bag, but times have changed.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,915 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thefts from cars at beach parks, parking areas

We usually don't go into the water together at Waialea, and leave one person on the beach, or just leave the phone in the car. I don't bring anything else of value.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Thefts from cars at beach parks, parking areas

KK - what is a dry bag?

In addition to a camera, we'd also probably have a wallet and keys that I'm also wondering about. I wonder if they are also breaking into cars where valuables are hidden.

There are only two of us so I'm not sure either of us would snorkel by ourselves. I've never been anywhere but an all inclusive so I'm not sure what to do with items like car keys.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,315 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thefts from cars at beach parks, parking areas

VanillaGirl - we snorkelled at several beaches along the Kohala Coast in the past 8 days. DH takes only a credit card and driver's licence and $10 or so in cash. We left the stuff in our bags on the beach, but I use a cable lock (a lightweight one) to secure the bags together and then to a tree root. One day at Honokaope we left the camera and binoculars as well. It's still a bit of a gamble, but we chose beaches such as Waialea during the week when there were mostly tourists there (and who were also leaving bags on the beach), and stuck to resort beaches on the w/e. We've done this (the cable lock) on all of our Hawaii trips and so far so good ... but that doesn't prevent someone from rifling through the bags and taking select items out - it just prevents or slows down grabbing the bags and walking off with them.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thefts from cars at beach parks, parking areas

I don't leave anything of value on the beach. Bring as little as possible and put that in an Aquapac which can go in the water with me.

We usually only has a $20, a credit card, a driver's license and the car key in an Aquapac. My iPhone goes in another Aquapac, but I don't bring it to the beach if I plan on snorkeling. A much cheaper non-smart phone goes in an Aquapac which if lost or stolen or gotten soaked would cost nothing to replace.