We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ford Escape or Ford Explorer

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
81 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Ford Escape or Ford Explorer

Your expertise please. We are a family of 3 - all adults, travelling to the big island. We will have 3 large suitcases and 2 golf bags between us. Should we rent the Ford Escape of the Explorer? Obviously we'll have to utlize the 1/3 split for the rear seats. With 2/3 of the rear seat down, will be able to fit 2 golf bags and 3 large suitcases? Would love to hear from those who either own or have rented an Escape with similar baggage loads. Mahalo!

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ford Escape or Ford Explorer

Get the Explorer. The added room and comfort is worth the extra bucks imho. I always go for the largest car when renting.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
81 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ford Escape or Ford Explorer

Thanks dada. I should have explained that if money was no object, I would get the Explorer, no questions asked. But the cost difference is $800. You see, I have enough points to get the Escape for free but don't have enough points for the Explorer. The difference of $800 is huge. I will only get the larger car if it is impossible to fit our 5 pieces into the Escape.

The discomfort is going to be about 30 minutes long (Airport to Condo). Once we unload, there's really no need for the 3rd row seating.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the Escape should work. According to the Rental Car Company guide, the Int. SUV will fit 5 Adults plus 2 Large Suitcases and 2 Small. Since there's no 3 adults, that means that the space for the 2 adults should easily be converted into more luggage space right?

Sounds like I'm trying to convince myself, doesn't it? lol!

Thoughts from anyone else?

LA
Level Contributor
9,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ford Escape or Ford Explorer

I drove an Escape rental car and really liked it. It would certainly fit 3 adults easily for day trips.

That is a little bitty trunk, but if you pile the clubs and one bag in the back seast, I think you could deal with the quick drive to the condo.

I'd go for saving the money and the extra gas you would consume.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,875 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ford Escape or Ford Explorer

I was going to ask about your lodging - I could tollerate that for a hour or so (driving with all the gear), but not the entire vacation. I drive a Ford Escape at work and I think it would work just fine. When I am in Hawaii, I try to go for the smallest car that will work - much easier to park, less gas and cheaper overall. :)

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ford Escape or Ford Explorer

Well the Explorer certainly isn't worth an extra $800 so you have made the right decision.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ford Escape or Ford Explorer

Not sure what you mean by large suitcases. we usually take carry on size.

And how large are your clubs. Are you also bringing a pull cart? We leave our regular club bags at home and have traveling bags we use. My wife is the golfer and she has a huge bag she plays from here, but not when we travel. If both your club sets are size of hers, that will take a lot of space.

We would have no trouble in Escape with our two bags and the two traveling club bags and could add a person with luggage same size.

Our son has an Escape. Pretty sure it has a rack on top that you can strap things to. You might throw in a couple of bungie cords as a backup. Or for $800 savings you can leave someone at airport with part of stuff and go back and get them.

Edited: 04 April 2013, 21:22
North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
81 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ford Escape or Ford Explorer

Thanks for everyone's help on this. I don't doubt for a moment that it will be a tight squeeze. But since we're driving directly to the condo with no stops for supplies, I'm figuring that it should be fine to go with the Escape.

It didn't make much sense to me to rent a 7 passenger vehicle where for 12 days there would be only 2 and maximum 3 people riding in it. The extra cost for rental and gas is not worth the 30 minutes of discomfort.

And if things just didn't fit... I guess I could always tie my husband to the roof of the car, right? lol!!!

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
81 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ford Escape or Ford Explorer

Hi Phirl, since we go for 2 weeks, we normally travel with 30" luggages. Not huge but a size up from the carry-ons. Our clubs are standard size and our club travel bags are soft sided - not the hard case ones (we had one of those previously and they are a pain to travel with!) Since we rent carts, we will not be bringing our push carts.

Thanks eveyone for your help. I'm certainly feeling more confident with my decision. Mahalo!

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ford Escape or Ford Explorer

I own an Escape - you should have no problems with it. You can even put only the 1/3 section of the back down for luggage. Your golf bags (or fencing bags which happen to be the same dimensions) can go in length-wise on the 1/3 section - one on top of the other. The suitcases can go behind the back seat passenger area and you'll still have room left over for your carry ons.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ford Escape or Ford Explorer

The 2013 Ford Escape is a re- design and thereby a roomier version from previous model years. For the situation you describe, you should be fine for the commute to and from the Airport.Do you have carryons as well? We also go for extended periods of time and are not light packers

But here's the thing....Depending on the car rental agency you are dealing with....A Ford escape is an example of a Mid size SUV in that category.They may not have any on the lot at the time of your arrival.It may be something like a Jeep Compass,Hyundai Tucson, Toyota Rav4,Chevy Trax,Nissan Rogue.Specific model types are rarely guaranteed.

Alamo and National allow you to go out to the Lot and select the vehicle of your choice. Some mid-size SUV vehicles make better use of space than others.

There is also the possibility (has happened many times to us)...where there is not a Mid size SUV available and a Standard/Full Size SUV will be offered at no additional charge. Do be wary ...that some agents will attempt to get you to upgrade for $xx/day....Remember the price quoted is Always per day! I can't count how many times we turn down the upgrade and it ends up being all they have on hand anyway...and for no additional charge..

I am not certain what type of discount codes you are utilizing but a charge of $800 does seem pretty darn steep.

We just recently had a 3 week rental at Budget (mid size SUV) for $473..... booked many moons ago utilizing a professional discount.